55 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2014 1:35 PM by LadySilhouette

    eBook Settlement Credit

    whiteginger

      I just got notice of my eBook settlement credit from B&N, due to be added to my B&N account within the next three days.  

       

      Just curious to know how my $60 stacks up to the credit some of the rest of you may be receiving?  Am I below, on par with, or above average?

       

       

        • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
          keriflur

          whiteginger wrote:

          I just got notice of my eBook settlement credit from B&N, due to be added to my B&N account within the next three days.  

           

          Just curious to know how my $60 stacks up to the credit some of the rest of you may be receiving?  Am I below, on par with, or above average?

           

           


          I'm getting $50. It's way more than the $18 I expected, but I know they changed the formula a few times when the states settled and then when Random Penguin came into the mix.

           

          I expect that we are both above average.

          • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
            patgolfneb

            Mine was 37.96. I had 0 NY Times best sellers. My pursuit of cheap books, a bunch of means that relatively few of my purchases qualified.

            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
              Kristen_R

              $152 and change.  22 NYT bestsellers (funnily enough, most of those were YA and celeb bios).  Of the other books, most were titles and authors that I've read for a long time and wanted to have digitally.  I guess all the authors I like are published by the publishers in the settlement.

              • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                Thanks for the thread.

                 

                I've got a whoping $31.96; strangely enough, only purchases back to 2011 are  calculated; I've been a Nook Owner since day 1; N1E, NC, andHD+; hmmm; me thinks perhaps a few titles were missed.  What say you?   Any clues on how to check?

                 

                Thanks all,

                 

                Rachel

                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                  Did anyone else review their detail?  I have at least 6 books on my list that were New York Times Bestsellers that are listed under "other books".

                  • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                    petesnook

                    So how did you folk find out how much your credit will be? My email didn't have any amount stated. Maybe that means my credit is $0.00. Wouldn't surprise me. I've only bought about 6 books since I started buying Nooks nearly three and a half years ago (NC, NST, HD+). I have spent a fair amount of money on magazines (my primary reason for getting an NC), children's interactive books, and apps, but not much on books for me.   

                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                      AnitaInTN

                      To the informal poll - I have a NC and got a little over $130 in rebates.  5 of those were counted as bestsellers.  I haven't checked whether any of the others might be bestsellers - probably not.  I don't specifically go after those, just some of the SF I happened to buy ended up popular.

                       

                      I read the details on the credit - the site says the the credit in your account will be applied first (before a CC anyway). 

                       

                      My question (maybe Alex or another mod can answer?) - will the DRM still use my same CC to lock any e-books I buy with this credit?  It's my understanding that I have to know that number (and my account user-name) should I ever need to access the book (un-lock it) somewhere else with Adobe.  I don't want to keep up with another ID and exactly which books it applies to.  Just in case.   (B&N makes me nervous about the Nook cloud with all this talk of dis-continuing the Nook....or not.) 

                       

                      Wish I'd thought of that earlier and just got a check. 

                       

                      I really hate DRM.  It only hurts us honest people.  Pirates know all the tricks & hacks..... I love my Nook and would rather not worry about this stuff but don't see that I have a choice.  I  have to have a backup plan for my books - I'm slowly migrating my DTBs to e-books, and a lot of the e-books have DRM.  More publishers are dropping it now.  Interestingly, not the ones in this lawsuit.

                      • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                        TruCalling

                        I'm getting about $124.

                         

                        I never thought the books I was buying were overpriced.  If I had, I wouldn't have bought them.  So, I'm conficted.  If I just let the credit expire, it doesn't actually help anybody.  But if I just put that credit toward my normal purchasing, I'm agreeing that I was cheated and I still don't think I was.

                         

                        I've been toying with the idea of donating $124 to my local library system.  It won't actually do anything, but at least I can view it as the settlement credit I'm receiving benefitting someone.  Or maybe to one of the local elementary school libraries; I don't think $100 buys many library edition books, but anything that helps to foster new readers would be more valuable than the sum of its dollars, right?  Just trying to avoid being a hypocrite...

                          • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                            keriflur

                            TruCalling wrote:

                            I'm getting about $124.

                             

                            I never thought the books I was buying were overpriced.  If I had, I wouldn't have bought them.  So, I'm conficted.  If I just let the credit expire, it doesn't actually help anybody.  But if I just put that credit toward my normal purchasing, I'm agreeing that I was cheated and I still don't think I was.


                            I don't think that using the credit says you think you were cheated.

                             

                            FWIW, as the credit will be automatically applied to your account, you'd have to go out of your way to avoid using it. It might be easier to make a cash donation in the value of your credit to your favorite local charity, and then use the credit for the books you would have bought anyway.

                             

                            For library donations - check with your local library before you do anything. Many of them have weird policies such as not putting donated books into circulation. By checking with them first, you can make your donation have the most impact.

                              • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                TruCalling

                                keriflur wrote:

                                FWIW, as the credit will be automatically applied to your account, you'd have to go out of your way to avoid using it. It might be easier to make a cash donation in the value of your credit to your favorite local charity, and then use the credit for the books you would have bought anyway.

                                 

                                For library donations - check with your local library before you do anything. Many of them have weird policies such as not putting donated books into circulation. By checking with them first, you can make your donation have the most impact.


                                This is what I was suggesting; make a $125 cash donation to the library for them to do with what they need, and then I will be able to sleep as I consume my $124 worth of reading.

                                  • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                    keriflur

                                    TruCalling wrote:

                                    keriflur wrote:

                                    FWIW, as the credit will be automatically applied to your account, you'd have to go out of your way to avoid using it. It might be easier to make a cash donation in the value of your credit to your favorite local charity, and then use the credit for the books you would have bought anyway.

                                     

                                    For library donations - check with your local library before you do anything. Many of them have weird policies such as not putting donated books into circulation. By checking with them first, you can make your donation have the most impact.


                                    This is what I was suggesting; make a $125 cash donation to the library for them to do with what they need, and then I will be able to sleep as I consume my $124 worth of reading.


                                    I may do that too.  I'm fortunate to have such a wonderful library system in my hometown.  Thanks for the idea!

                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                  TruCalling wrote:

                                  I'm getting about $124.

                                   

                                  I never thought the books I was buying were overpriced.  If I had, I wouldn't have bought them.  So, I'm conficted.  If I just let the credit expire, it doesn't actually help anybody.  But if I just put that credit toward my normal purchasing, I'm agreeing that I was cheated and I still don't think I was.

                                   

                                  I've been toying with the idea of donating $124 to my local library system.  It won't actually do anything, but at least I can view it as the settlement credit I'm receiving benefitting someone.  Or maybe to one of the local elementary school libraries; I don't think $100 buys many library edition books, but anything that helps to foster new readers would be more valuable than the sum of its dollars, right?  Just trying to avoid being a hypocrite...


                                  Whether you thought the books were overpriced or not is irrelevant.  The facts of the case show that the e-books clearly were overpriced, and were illegally overpriced at that.  Just because you believe that a price charged for an e-book is fair, does not mean that everybody else might agree with you. 

                                   

                                  If you wish to support a library, why wait for the breaking of a federal law to provide an impetus?  Just go ahead and donate to your library. 

                                   

                                  Or ... enjoy a good meal at a nice restaurant.  What would you have done with that money if some dishonest publishers and a dishonest retailer (Apple) hadn't stolen it from you? 

                                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                      keriflur

                                      deesy58 wrote:
                                      Whether you thought the books were overpriced or not is irrelevant.  The facts of the case show that the e-books clearly were overpriced, and were illegally overpriced at that.

                                      Umm...no.  The charge that the DoJ brought against the publishers was collusion, not "illegal overpricing".

                                       

                                      The fact is that REP and the agency model are completely legal, and given that the settlement required that the publishers refrain from using REP for a period of two years, we may yet see it again soon.

                                       

                                      Also, the publishers that did NOT collude and chose to use the agency model and required ebook pricing were not, and are still not, being investigated for doing so.  Random House would still be setting prices for all their books if they hadn't decided to merge with Penguin.

                                        • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                          keriflur wrote:

                                          Umm...no.  The charge that the DoJ brought against the publishers was collusion, not "illegal overpricing".

                                           

                                          The fact is that REP and the agency model are completely legal, and given that the settlement required that the publishers refrain from using REP for a period of two years, we may yet see it again soon.

                                           

                                          Also, the publishers that did NOT collude and chose to use the agency model and required ebook pricing were not, and are still not, being investigated for doing so.  Random House would still be setting prices for all their books if they hadn't decided to merge with Penguin.


                                          You are confusing a business model with an illegal activity designed to raise retail prices.  The publishers agreed to halt interfering with retailers in order to control retail prices.  The publishers are free to collude all they wish, if the collusion is nothing more than a plan to choose the menu at their next dinner meeting, for example.  It was the fact that prices were raised in a manner that violated US antitrust law that constituted the illegal activity.  Firms are not allowed to jointly decide to raise prices for their own enrichment, and to the economic detriment of consumers. 

                                           

                                           

                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                              flyingtoastr

                                              deesy58 wrote:

                                              You are confusing a business model with an illegal activity designed to raise retail prices.  The publishers agreed to halt interfering with retailers in order to control retail prices.  The publishers are free to collude all they wish, if the collusion is nothing more than a plan to choose the menu at their next dinner meeting, for example.  It was the fact that prices were raised in a manner that violated US antitrust law that constituted the illegal activity.  Firms are not allowed to jointly decide to raise prices for their own enrichment, and to the economic detriment of consumers. 

                                               

                                               


                                              You're wrong.

                                               

                                              Agency pricing (and the "illegal prices" you complain about) is completely legal. In a year and change the publishers will be able to once again force retailers into Agency contracts complete with MFN clauses if they so wish. It was explicitly stated in the court rulings that this was legal.

                                               

                                              The *only* thing that was illegal here was the collusion between the five seperate publishers to simultaneously force the new pricing scheme. So long as they each undertake the change seperately, there is absolutely no legal basis to stop them from re-instituting agency pricing. Before you go off on a wild tangent: Judge Cote stated this exact thing explicitly in her verdict. Agency pricing with MFN clauses are completely legal under US law, even if it means an increase in consumer prices.

                                               

                                              Pricing only mattered to the case in so far as it was the reason publishers were desperate to adopt Agency/MFN contracts. 

                                               

                                              tl;dr: Agency pricing: Legal. MFN: Legal. Colluding between compititors: Illegal.

                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                  flyingtoastr wrote:

                                                  deesy58 wrote:

                                                  You are confusing a business model with an illegal activity designed to raise retail prices.  The publishers agreed to halt interfering with retailers in order to control retail prices.  The publishers are free to collude all they wish, if the collusion is nothing more than a plan to choose the menu at their next dinner meeting, for example.  It was the fact that prices were raised in a manner that violated US antitrust law that constituted the illegal activity.  Firms are not allowed to jointly decide to raise prices for their own enrichment, and to the economic detriment of consumers. 

                                                   

                                                   


                                                  You're wrong.

                                                   

                                                  Agency pricing (and the "illegal prices" you complain about) is completely legal. In a year and change the publishers will be able to once again force retailers into Agency contracts complete with MFN clauses if they so wish. It was explicitly stated in the court rulings that this was legal.

                                                   

                                                  The *only* thing that was illegal here was the collusion between the five seperate publishers to simultaneously force the new pricing scheme. So long as they each undertake the change seperately, there is absolutely no legal basis to stop them from re-instituting agency pricing. Before you go off on a wild tangent: Judge Cote stated this exact thing explicitly in her verdict. Agency pricing with MFN clauses are completely legal under US law, even if it means an increase in consumer prices.

                                                   

                                                  Pricing only mattered to the case in so far as it was the reason publishers were desperate to adopt Agency/MFN contracts. 

                                                   

                                                  tl;dr: Agency pricing: Legal. MFN: Legal. Colluding between compititors: Illegal.


                                                  No.  It is YOU who is wrong.  For that year and change that you are referring to, the publishers are prohibited from preventing e-book retailers from discounting their titles.  That means that if they try, they will be held in contempt, and will be sanctioned by the court. 

                                                   

                                                  MFN clauses in wholesale contracts have always been legal, in all industries that I am aware of.  Price discrimination by suppliers has always been legal.  Why do you think this is somehow unique to the book publishing and selling industries?  It has never been legal, however, to enter into a conspiracy to violate US antitrust laws (The Sherman Antitrust Act) in order to cheat consumers, and that's just what Apple and the publishers did. 

                                                   

                                                  You continue to generalize from a specific.  The case in point is the specific case that was adjudicated in Judge Cote's court.  Tell me, toastr, if everything was legal and above-board, then why are so many e-book buyers receiving rebates right now?  If everything was perfectly legal, why has punishment been meted out?

                                                   

                                                  No legal basis for stopping them from doing it again??  How about the exact same law that they broke the first time?  If the publishers and Apple Computer reestablish the same pricing scheme that got them into this mess in the first place, I expect that they will see the same results: an antitrust action by the Department of Justice.

                                                   

                                                  I really do not understand at all why so many on this forum are so quick to defend criminal activity by corrupt businesses.  Do you really believe it is the American way?

                                                   

                                                  Sheesh!  :smileyfrustrated: 

                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                              TruCalling

                                              deesy58 wrote:

                                              Whether you thought the books were overpriced or not is irrelevant.  The facts of the case show that the e-books clearly were overpriced, and were illegally overpriced at that.  Just because you believe that a price charged for an e-book is fair, does not mean that everybody else might agree with you. 

                                               

                                              If you wish to support a library, why wait for the breaking of a federal law to provide an impetus?  Just go ahead and donate to your library. 

                                              Or ... enjoy a good meal at a nice restaurant.  What would you have done with that money if some dishonest publishers and a dishonest retailer (Apple) hadn't stolen it from you? 


                                              I already support the library.  I don't know where you got the idea that I don't.  That I suggested a supplemental donation equivalent in value to a settlement credit to which I do not believe I am entitled?  How does that conclusion follow?  Or do you always assume the worst of every person you meet?

                                               

                                              Please don't put words in my mouth and please don't present your own opinion as fact.  I never suggested that everyone, or even anyone, agreed with me that the ebooks I bought were not overpriced.  I merely stated that if I had thought they were overpriced I would not have bought them.  I bought a Jetta instead of an A4 because I thought the A4 was overpriced.  I realize there are many who don't believe the A4 to be overpriced and some who may think my Jetta overpriced.

                                               

                                              And $124 doesn't get you a good meal at a nice restaurant.  It gets you a so-so meal at a mediocre restaurant who likes to tell you it's a nice one.  Good meal, nice restaurant is significantly more expensive than that.:smileysurprised::smileywink:

                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                  TruCalling wrote:

                                                  deesy58 wrote:

                                                  Whether you thought the books were overpriced or not is irrelevant.  The facts of the case show that the e-books clearly were overpriced, and were illegally overpriced at that.  Just because you believe that a price charged for an e-book is fair, does not mean that everybody else might agree with you. 

                                                   

                                                  If you wish to support a library, why wait for the breaking of a federal law to provide an impetus?  Just go ahead and donate to your library. 

                                                  Or ... enjoy a good meal at a nice restaurant.  What would you have done with that money if some dishonest publishers and a dishonest retailer (Apple) hadn't stolen it from you? 


                                                  I already support the library.  I don't know where you got the idea that I don't.  That I suggested a supplemental donation equivalent in value to a settlement credit to which I do not believe I am entitled?  How does that conclusion follow?  Or do you always assume the worst of every person you meet?

                                                   

                                                  Please don't put words in my mouth and please don't present your own opinion as fact.  I never suggested that everyone, or even anyone, agreed with me that the ebooks I bought were not overpriced.  I merely stated that if I had thought they were overpriced I would not have bought them.  I bought a Jetta instead of an A4 because I thought the A4 was overpriced.  I realize there are many who don't believe the A4 to be overpriced and some who may think my Jetta overpriced.

                                                   

                                                  And $124 doesn't get you a good meal at a nice restaurant.  It gets you a so-so meal at a mediocre restaurant who likes to tell you it's a nice one.  Good meal, nice restaurant is significantly more expensive than that.:smileysurprised::smileywink:


                                                  You said you did not think the e-books were overpriced.  I simply pointed out that the facts are not in accordance with your opinions.  The facts, established by a federal court, show that e-books published from a group of publishers were illegally overpriced.

                                                   

                                                  I never said that you didn't support the library.  Please do not try to put words into my mouth that I did not say.  I only point out that we shouldn't need a special reason to support our libraries, such as a settlement in a federal antitrust case.  If libraries depended on such rare occurrances for financial support, they would soon exhaust their resources, IMO. 

                                                   

                                                  I don't normally think the worst of every person I meet, but you are certainly making it tempting ...

                                                   

                                                  You clearly do not understand how the law works in America or you wouldn't accuse me of presenting my opinions as fact.  Fact is whatever a court of competent jurisdiction says it is.  Period.  The facts indicate that e-books were illegally overpriced.  Money was stolen from consumers by greedy businesses.  If you believe that is acceptable behavior in 21st Century America, I don't imagine that a lot of other consumers would agree with your position.  :smileymad:

                                                   

                                                  If a federal court were to rule that A4s or Jettas were illegally overpriced, then that would be a fact that your personal opinion could do nothing to change.  You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

                                                   

                                                  Don't know where you live, but where I live, I can get a nice meal at a nice restaurant for $124 (including the tip).  :smileysurprised:

                                                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                      TruCalling
                                                      I should know better by now than to respond to the Forumn Bully. Sigh.
                                                      • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                        flyingtoastr

                                                        deesy58 wrote:
                                                         The facts indicate that e-books were illegally overpriced.  


                                                        That isn't what the court ruled. The court ruled that the METHOD that the publishers used to institute Agency pricing was illegal (collusion). The actual prices, agency scheme, and MFN clauses themselves are all perfectly legal.

                                                          • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                            flyingtoastr wrote:

                                                            deesy58 wrote:
                                                             The facts indicate that e-books were illegally overpriced.  


                                                            That isn't what the court ruled. The court ruled that the METHOD that the publishers used to institute Agency pricing was illegal (collusion). The actual prices, agency scheme, and MFN clauses themselves are all perfectly legal.


                                                            Well, that's a degree of hair splitting that I haven't seen in a while.  Does that mean that if you are mugged while walking down the street, it isn't a crime if the mugger asks you politely for your wallet instead of hitting you alongside of the head before simply taking it? 

                                                            Do you believe that it is not a crime if a bank robber doesn't show his gun to the teller?

                                                            Would you consider it to be an acceptable business practice if all of the grocery stores in your city got together and agreed to increase the price of milk by say ... 50%?  Wouldn't the milk,then,  be illegally priced? 

                                                            If you drive the getaway car in a robbery, are you guilty of robbery?  Al Capone never personally broke anybody's legs when running his "protection" racket.   Does that mean he was not guilty of extortion? 

                                                            The conspiracy to illegally increase e-book prices resulted in illegally high e-book prices.  As it should, the government stepped in and took action against the criminals.  Now, the criminals are being forced to refund their illegally gained profits from the consumers who were robbed.  Do you not agree with this action?  Do you believe that criminals should be able to keep their ill-gotten gains?  Do you believe that the gains, themselves, are legal, even though the means used to obtain them were not?  Would that philosophy make it okay, for example, to receive stolen goods?   

                                                            Why are you attempting to make excuses for criminal behavior, toastr?  :smileysurprised:

                                                  • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                    Don't mean to derail the conversation, but I had to shut my email account down to a vicious hacking and didn't write down my ID. Is there anywhere on the B&N site that shows the credits?  I should have credits coming. Any help would be most welcome.

                                                      • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                        Byteguy

                                                        McGuffin wrote:

                                                        Don't mean to derail the conversation, but I had to shut my email account down to a vicious hacking and didn't write down my ID. Is there anywhere on the B&N site that shows the credits?  I should have credits coming. Any help would be most welcome.


                                                        Actually, you're re-railing the conversation.

                                                         

                                                        You don't need the ID for it to appear in your account.  Login to B&N and you should see it (either today or tomorrow).  They're applying it automatically, you don't need to ask for it.

                                                      • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                        I got 63.38 from BN and another 43.32 from AZ. Not bad. I wanted to get two hardcovers from bn.com but it keeps showing my credit card will be charged the full amount. I successfully bought a nook book and it came right off the eCredit. I thought it was good for physical and ebooks? Or is it just a issue with how BN.com displays the amount.
                                                          • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                            bklvr896

                                                            Isanox wrote:
                                                            I got 63.38 from BN and another 43.32 from AZ. Not bad. I wanted to get two hardcovers from bn.com but it keeps showing my credit card will be charged the full amount. I successfully bought a nook book and it came right off the eCredit. I thought it was good for physical and ebooks? Or is it just a issue with how BN.com displays the amount.

                                                            Gift cards on your account have never been automatically applied to physical purchases.  Since the credit is recorded on the account as a egift card I would suspect you use it the same was a any gift card. When you get to the payment option, to the right of your credit card info is a link that says "Apply a gift card". Click on that and enter the gift card number which is on the you recieved that told you your credit was available.

                                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                              byter67

                                                              Congrats Isanox on those nice settlement amounts you received. If my understanding of the letter emailed to me from B&N is correct, the settlement monies can be used at B&N stores to purchase either print editions or digital editions (using the bar code in the letter), but on-line the money can only be used to purchase digital books.

                                                               

                                                              I received just $7.30 and all the books in which I have current interest are cheaper elsewhere, so the actual value to me is even less.

                                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                  keriflur

                                                                  byter67 wrote:
                                                                   

                                                                  I received just $7.30 and all the books in which I have current interest are cheaper elsewhere, so the actual value to me is even less.


                                                                  You've got a whole year to use it, so you can take your time with it. B&N occasionally runs specials so you might be able to get a good deal down the line.

                                                                  • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                    bklvr896

                                                                    byter67 wrote:

                                                                    Congrats Isanox on those nice settlement amounts you received. If my understanding of the letter emailed to me from B&N is correct, the settlement monies can be used at B&N stores to purchase either print editions or digital editions (using the bar code in the letter), but on-line the money can only be used to purchase digital books.

                                                                     

                                                                    I received just $7.30 and all the books in which I have current interest are cheaper elsewhere, so the actual value to me is even less.


                                                                    The settlement in as a egift card.  There should be no reason you can't enter it at checkout to buy print editions online.

                                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                  I received an email on 9/3/13 that had my settlement number and a reference to the AG site to request a check.

                                                                   

                                                                  I requested a check.

                                                                   

                                                                  I have not received anything since.  I have tried for the last 2 1/2 days to confirm my number and I get bascially an error message.  I sent two separate inquires to them and got one reply asking for my settlement id and email - DESPITE THE FACT THAT I ENTERED THAT INFORMATION INTO THE PRIOR REQUESTS BOTH TIMES.  I replied to that on Tuesday evening.

                                                                   

                                                                  HAVE NOT HEARD ANYTHING SINCE so am resorting to posting here hoping someone might be able to help.  Have you noticed there is no phone number to call - only automated email systems?

                                                                   

                                                                  Barnes and Noble, this is why I stopped my membership and don't shop in your stores anymore.  You've closed your best stores and your customer service is terrible.

                                                                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                      It usually takes a bit more time to print and mail a check than to send an e-mail.

                                                                       

                                                                      Be patient.

                                                                       

                                                                        • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                          Problem is - they are not even confirming I'm getting anything.  Their automated system says there is no associated Settlement number.

                                                                           

                                                                          2 1/2 days is patience.

                                                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                              keriflur

                                                                              darwindog96 wrote:

                                                                              2 1/2 days is patience.


                                                                              No, no it's not.

                                                                              • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                flyingtoastr

                                                                                darwindog96 wrote:

                                                                                Problem is - they are not even confirming I'm getting anything.  Their automated system says there is no associated Settlement number.

                                                                                 

                                                                                2 1/2 days is patience.


                                                                                According to the AG settlement website itself, checks are being processed and mailed today, March 27th, two days after online credits.

                                                                                 

                                                                                Moreover, according to the same site, BN has literally nothing to do with your check, which is why your settlement isn't showing up in BN's system.

                                                                                 

                                                                                13.    When will I receive my check from these settlements? When will the distribution occur?
                                                                                Postcard checks were mailed to customers who received the 2013 Settlements notice and Settlement ID and requested a valid check request on March 27, 2014. Postcard checks will be issued directly from the Claims Administrator and will not come from Barnes & Noble.

                                                                                 

                                                                                (underline mine)

                                                                                 

                                                                                Do some research before getting angry.

                                                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                  bklvr896

                                                                                  darwindog96 wrote:

                                                                                  Problem is - they are not even confirming I'm getting anything.  Their automated system says there is no associated Settlement number.

                                                                                   

                                                                                  2 1/2 days is patience.


                                                                                  Did you include the BN_  as part of your settlement ID?  I just ask because the first time I looked for mine, I didn't include it.

                                                                                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                                      Yes - I did.  I'm current waiting to see if a check appears by this weekend and then, if not, I'll see what I can do but if B&N basically wiped me out of their database because I requested a check I can see that I will most likely get a run around and perhaps no settlement at all.  Frustrating because during the time period I was an avid ebook purchaser so I expect I'm not worrying over just a few dollar.

                                                                                        • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                          flyingtoastr

                                                                                          darwindog96 wrote:

                                                                                          Yes - I did.  I'm current waiting to see if a check appears by this weekend and then, if not, I'll see what I can do but if B&N basically wiped me out of their database because I requested a check I can see that I will most likely get a run around and perhaps no settlement at all.  Frustrating because during the time period I was an avid ebook purchaser so I expect I'm not worrying over just a few dollar.


                                                                                          I'll point it out again (and bold it this time to help you read it).

                                                                                           

                                                                                          Because you requesed a check, your refund wasn't processed until yesterday (the 27th). USPS mailing obviously takes more than a single day.

                                                                                           

                                                                                          Because you requested a check, your refund is being processed directly by the AG Settlement Group and **NOT** BN. Going into a BN and blowing a gasket will accomplish nothing for you, because BN literally has nothing to do with your refund.

                                                                                           

                                                                                          Here is the website for your settlement information.

                                                                                           

                                                                                          Read before getting angry.

                                                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                  dandelion_cottage

                                                                                  Has anyone actually received their settlement yet? I got the initial email and was able to determine the amount, but where would I see the credit on my account? Where gift cards are normally shown, or somewhere else? Thanks!

                                                                                  • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                                    I got an $8.49 credit, but I can't spend it on anything. All of the eBooks that I want are double the price that Amazon is selling them for (I own both a Nook and a Kindle) and I would spend almost the same amount on either site if I subtract the $8.49 from the B&N price.

                                                                                     

                                                                                    Wish I could do a price match online. It's not even on sale at Amazon, it's the regular price.

                                                                                    • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                      jneen277

                                                                                      Did anyone else receive the email stating that their credit was placed in their account and when you went in to check it out, the gift card said 0 balance and, when you tried to manually enter it into the system it told you the gift card was already redeemed? 

                                                                                       

                                                                                      I called customer service and when they checked my account I was initially all but called a liar because I have 2 gift cards saved in there already. I had to explain, twice, that both were birthday gifts I received mid-February. I also told them to check my order history, I hadn't purchased anything for several days so there was no way I could've spent it that fast. Besides that, I leave work at 4:30, the email came through at 4:35 and I was on the NYC Subway for the next hour or so. Underground with no internet. I came home, checked it out and when I realized what happened, I was on the phone with them a little after 6pm. 

                                                                                       

                                                                                      Their response was to send an email to "www.ebooksagsettlements.com" and tell them. I had to explain to her that wasn't an email address, it was a website, which she didn't understand at all. Then she directed me to the FAQ where I had to put in a request to BN directly (the 5th FAQ down). So, now I'm waiting to see why the gift card I was given was an already redeemed one. 

                                                                                       

                                                                                      Just wondering if I was the only one? I'm not getting as much as everyone else, but what little I'm getting I could buy several upcoming books I'm waiting for. Thank you!

                                                                                        • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                                          $285.98 - :smileyhappy:  I bought over 30 NYT Bestsellers and over 200 others.  So far I've spent it down to 200.  In hindsight I wish I had requested a check but I was expecting piddly amounts.  Now I am stuck buying books from a company I despise.  (I have long switched to an Ipad mini and the kindle app.) 

                                                                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                                              EllenKeiff wrote:

                                                                                              $285.98 - :smileyhappy:  I bought over 30 NYT Bestsellers and over 200 others.  So far I've spent it down to 200.  In hindsight I wish I had requested a check but I was expecting piddly amounts.  Now I am stuck buying books from a company I despise.  (I have long switched to an Ipad mini and the kindle app.) 


                                                                                              I believe you can print a scannable barcode to take to a physical B&N store to use as credit there.  Do some gift shopping maybe?  Check the e-mail they sent out.  My amount was tiny, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

                                                                                               

                                                                                               

                                                                                            • Re: eBook Settlement Credit

                                                                                              My husband is having the same issue - and his settlement amount is also over $200.  We've emailed, live chatted and phoned.  Had the same experience of being called all but a liar.  We've had Nooks for years, but I see Kindles in our future if we can't get this resolved.

                                                                                                • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                                  keriflur

                                                                                                  So I got a total of $82 across B&N, Sony, and Kobo.  I was going to donate that money to the local library system, as others have done, but with the devastation in Oso and the Stillaguamish river valley, I decided to give the funds to a disaster fund for Oso instead.

                                                                                              • Re: eBook Settlement Credit
                                                                                                LadySilhouette
                                                                                                I got $48.19, however I got an email stating there is another settlement to be expected-nothing on that yet..