18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 12:48 AM by vvlovesu

    NC 1.4.3 update is out

      NookColor 1.4.3 update is out.

        • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
          roustabout

          with comics- and pdf-targed changes.  

           

          So, for the folks who've been looking for better comics support - do these sound helpful?   

           

          What's new in Ver 1.4.3?
          The NOOK Color Ver1.4.3 update contains new features and enhancements, including:

          • Zoom view in comics and graphic novels
          • 2-Page mode in landscape for viewing PagePerfect™ and PDF documents
          • Other minor system enhancements 

            • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

              Nice to see that they're still supplying updates for the Nook Color.  Good on ya, BN.

               

              • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                roustabout wrote:

                ... 

                So, for the folks who've been looking for better comics support - do these sound helpful?   

                ...

                • Zoom view in comics and graphic novels
                ...


                From the sound of it, Zoom View will be a great addition to the Nook Comics.  Hopefully it works as well as I'm hearing it does.  Along with the update they've given us a ton of new comics to choose from too, including comics from DC and Red 5 (more Atomic Robo!!!), as well as a large selection of free comics, so that's even better. 

                • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                  roustabout wrote:

                  with comics- and pdf-targed changes.  

                   

                  So, for the folks who've been looking for better comics support - do these sound helpful?   

                   

                  What's new in Ver 1.4.3?
                  The NOOK Color Ver1.4.3 update contains new features and enhancements, including:

                  • Zoom view in comics and graphic novels
                  • 2-Page mode in landscape for viewing PagePerfect™ and PDF documents
                  • Other minor system enhancements 


                  It depends on what "Zoom view" means ~ if its either tap to zoom or an ability to pinch to zoom to zoom and then lock the zoom across page turns, it would be quite helpful. In my experience, the Nook Comics reader is better for manga than anything except panel by panel guided view, and much better than most of the various online manga readers (JManga, Shonen Jump alpha, YenPlus, etc) ... except for the limited selection of guided view titles in JManga ... but a an ability to either get to the right zoom level after a page turn or leave it zoomed in through page turns would make it even better.

                   

                  No way in hades I'm going to duck out on the upgrade. I'll just root is again after its done.

                    • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                      I am not certain this became available only in 1.4.3 but I have found that I can double tap on the book cover and photos within ebooks and it will open the cover or photo in a new window so it can be pinch zoomed. I can also move the opened photo around the page. Since I have several photography books this is a nice feature since I can zoom out to make the photo smaller when it normally doesn't fit entirely on the page. When zooming in the quality is limited by the original size of the photo file in the ebook and will get grainier or less sharp as it is zoomed. There is a 'close' icon to return to the normal view. This may be related to the new Zoom feature added for comics and graphic novels.

                       

                      Update:  Sorry but I finally found an earlier post in another thread that mentions this feature so it must have been available before 1.4.3 and I just now stumbled on it.

                  • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
                    Sardonic

                    Roustabout - I know I speak for many here and on other boards - we eagerly await your mod to the sys/build.prop file so we can stop the 1.4.3 OTA.

                     

                    I am extemely satisfied with the 1.4.2 man nooter and do not see anything in 1.4.3 that I need.

                     

                    For those of us that root we salute you!...and Dean and the good men and women at XDA.

                    • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
                      BeachCatFan

                      So, if one is using the n2a card, is it advisable to remove the card before updating? Or is that not necessary? TIA

                        • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                          I've installed previous updates without a problem. I downloaded the new update and copied it over to my NC per the instructions. It started to install, but then stopped with a screen showing the android man with an exclaimation point. This screen stayed until I pressed the on/off button. Then there was an error message screen from Clockwork recovery saying something about invalid signature.

                           

                          I don't know what Clockwork is an why it is stopping the installation.

                           

                          I have tried to reinstall and even downloaded a new copy to install, I get the same message. Any suggestions?

                          • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
                            I have an AFN card, which I would assume would work like the N2A. For ver 1.4.2, i missed it and it updated with the card installed. Worked fine afterwards. I left it plugged in for several days this time, but it never updated, so I took the card out and manually updated without the card in, and it is also working fine. Personally, I think it would be safer to do it without the card in, just in case.
                          • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
                            Sardonic

                            Thank You Roustabout!  Worked perfectly.

                             

                            Compulsive.  Do not let your Nook update to 1.4.3.  You will lose root.

                             

                            Take the two zip files from Roustabout and via your PC drag and drop them on the SAME SD card you made to install Man Nooter 5.2.19.

                             

                            Turn your Nook off and insert the SD card with Roustabout's files.  Reboot your Nook.  Select the option to install zip from SD Card.  Toggle and select the 1.4.3-perserve.prop.zip.  Select yes to install.  It takes 2 seconds.  Click the power button on the side once should take you back to the main menu.  Select Re-Boot Nook.  STOP.  Remove SD Card.  Now, press the 'n' and your Nook will re-boot.

                             

                            Your Nook now shows you are on version 1.4.3.  But you are really on 1.4.2.  You now won't get the update OTA.

                              • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                                Sardonic wrote:

                                Thank You Roustabout!  Worked perfectly.

                                 

                                Compulsive.  Do not let your Nook update to 1.4.3.  You will lose root.

                                 

                                Take the two zip files from Roustabout and via your PC drag and drop them on the SAME SD card you made to install Man Nooter 5.2.19.

                                 

                                Turn your Nook off and insert the SD card with Roustabout's files.  Reboot your Nook.  Select the option to install zip from SD Card.  Toggle and select the 1.4.3-perserve.prop.zip.  Select yes to install.  It takes 2 seconds.  Click the power button on the side once should take you back to the main menu.  Select Re-Boot Nook.  STOP.  Remove SD Card.  Now, press the 'n' and your Nook will re-boot.

                                 

                                Your Nook now shows you are on version 1.4.3.  But you are really on 1.4.2.  You now won't get the update OTA.



                                Thank you! That wasn't too hard to do! :smileyhappy: I really appreciate the instructions in simple English.

                              • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out
                                petesnook

                                I saw on the Tablet forums that some people have reported that the Shop page has been changed.  But it looks the same on my NC. Anyone with an NC notice a difference with the Shop page?

                                • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                                  I've noticed a couple of annoying things with the 1.4.3 update and was wondering if anyone else had noticed. I'm on a early model NC - the one with 1GB of B&N content storage.

                                   

                                  1) Books seem to keep using "Animate eBook page turns" as turn on, even though the box isn't checked.

                                   

                                  I keep having to go into the options and turn it on, then turn it off to reset it back to being off.

                                   

                                  2) The new firmware seems less stable. It keeps locking up.

                                   

                                  It's locked up for me launching a ebook, launching Quell, in the browser. The only way to clear this is to do a 10 second power button hold to force it to power off.

                                  • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                                    After update to 1.4.3 I cannot transfer books from ADE to Nook.  Tried all the documented fixes, but can't get it to work.  Problem seems to be I can't get my Nook to reauthorize in ADE.  Oh well, plenty of bn books on my Nook to read.    

                                    • Re: NC 1.4.3 update is out

                                      I've been having the lock up problem too. I thought it was from over use and little charge time, but I see that this isn't the problem. When do you guys think there will be another update to fix these bugs?