14 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2010 12:05 PM by keriflur

    kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

      If you remember the following paragraph from thisblog, you might be upset that kobo is giving out coupons codes for a free book to iPad purchasers..

       

      Promotions, Discounts and Most Loyalty Programs Go Away
      With agency, the price is the price. We lose most of our ability to issue coupons, promotions, special discounts, kickbacks, buy-X-get-one-free. We could still do it for non-agency titles, but then we end up in a weird situation of “Get $1 off, but only on these books, and definitely not on these other ones.” That’s not fun. And worse, it’s confusing to consumers. We’re sad about that, obviously. Not just because they’re a great way for us to drive sales, but because they help us focus attention on specific great books, reward our loyal customers, and celebrate the launch of new features, apps or services.

       

      The iPad coupon code thing has been on Twitter all day, so I questioned them on it and got the following response:

       

      kobo  "koboipad" gets you The Girl w the Dragon Tattoo, Rework, or You Are Not a Gadget free. Coupons aren't dead, just narrower and scarcer. :smileyhappy:

        • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

          Thank you for posting this.  I'm probably the only person left who hadn't purchased The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, so I got it free!

           

           

          • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

            @FrogAlum

             

            Thanks, Frog!  I've been debating buying this book, and 0.00 was definitely the right price! 

             

            That the coupon was intended to promote the iPad makes it that much sweeter.  A lot of us who have been in a swivet since Thursday haven't caught on to the fact that Steve Jobs is the founder of the feast  that the Agency Five are chowing down on, and they've left him a place at the head of the table.  Every Apple fanboy and fangirl who loves eBooks and lined up this weekend to buy their iPads was paying top dollar to the guy who screwed up their reading.

             

            PS Love your logo, hope you get your avatar back soon!

              • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                 

                ABthree wrote:

                @FrogAlum

                 

                Thanks, Frog!  I've been debating buying this book, and 0.00 was definitely the right price! 

                 

                That the coupon was intended to promote the iPad makes it that much sweeter.  A lot of us who have been in a swivet since Thursday haven't caught on to the fact that Steve Jobs is the founder of the feast  that the Agency Five are chowing down on, and they've left him a place at the head of the table.  Every Apple fanboy and fangirl who loves eBooks and lined up this weekend to buy their iPads was paying top dollar to the guy who screwed up their reading.

                 

                PS Love your logo, hope you get your avatar back soon!

                 

                Yeah, that was the right price for me also!  LOL  Thanks, I cannot figure out why some avatars are there and some aren't it's just weird!

                 

                  • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                    Thank you :smileyhappy:

                      • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                        I also used the code to get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I authorized both my computer and my nook with ADE. However, whenever I try to drag the book to my nook, I get an error:

                         

                        Some file(s) unable to be copied

                        ioError

                         

                        How am I supposed to get this thing on my nook?

                          • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)
                            LarryOnLI

                             

                            Unburnt wrote:

                            I also used the code to get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I authorized both my computer and my nook with ADE. However, whenever I try to drag the book to my nook, I get an error:

                             

                            Some file(s) unable to be copied

                            ioError

                             

                            How am I supposed to get this thing on my nook?

                             

                             

                            This error might indicate a "file in use" error or a problem with the connection to your nook.

                             

                            What I would do in this case is:

                             

                            • Disconnect the nook from the computer

                             

                            • Reboot the computer and the nook

                             

                            • Re-connect nook to the computer

                             

                            • Start ADE and make sure it sees the nook

                             

                            • Attempt to copy the file again.

                             

                            I hope this works for you, and this is probably the wrong place to post a technical/help question such as this.

                             

                              • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                                 

                                LarryOnLI wrote:

                                 

                                Unburnt wrote:

                                I also used the code to get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I authorized both my computer and my nook with ADE. However, whenever I try to drag the book to my nook, I get an error:

                                 

                                Some file(s) unable to be copied

                                ioError

                                 

                                How am I supposed to get this thing on my nook?

                                 

                                 

                                This error might indicate a "file in use" error or a problem with the connection to your nook.

                                 

                                What I would do in this case is:

                                 

                                • Disconnect the nook from the computer

                                 

                                • Reboot the computer and the nook

                                 

                                • Re-connect nook to the computer

                                 

                                • Start ADE and make sure it sees the nook

                                 

                                • Attempt to copy the file again.

                                 

                                I hope this works for you, and this is probably the wrong place to post a technical/help question such as this.

                                 

                                 

                                 

                                Thanks for your help. The problem was that the main memory on my nook is full, and ADE couldn't put it on my memory card. I cleared up some space and it worked just fine.

                                 

                              • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                                Just got the book! Code still works

                                  • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                                    I used the promo code yesterday. Today (4/6) I saw that I've been charged for it anyway. It read 0.00 after I applied the code and submitted. I have a pending charge from Kobo for $5.00 which is only a discount of 0.50 cents. You might want to double check-  that you really did get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for free. Am I the only to have gotten charged for it using the code?

                                      • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                                        Mine was free...

                                        • Re: kobo Coupon Update (of sorts)

                                           

                                          Usersam191 wrote:

                                          I used the promo code yesterday. Today (4/6) I saw that I've been charged for it anyway. It read 0.00 after I applied the code and submitted. I have a pending charge from Kobo for $5.00 which is only a discount of 0.50 cents. You might want to double check-  that you really did get The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo for free. Am I the only to have gotten charged for it using the code?

                                           

                                           

                                           

                                          It should wash off your account.  They pre-authorize a $5 charge, but don't actually charge it.  I had a small heart attack when I saw that when they had their 2party sale and I ordered quite a few and had a big pile of $5 pending charges.  Depends on your bank as to how long they stay there. 

                                           

                                          I do really wish that Kobo would allow either a shopping cart or a way to pre-pay a balance so that you aren't hit with both these $5 authorizations *and* a whole bunch of small "foreign transaction fees".  I keep a gift card paid up on my B&N account so that I can buy without hitting my credit card for every small charge, but I bought like 30 books for Kobo's sale and ended up with $50 being held as pending charges, another $5 in foreign transaction fees, and my credit card was frozen because they suspected fraud with so many repetitive charges going through.  *sigh*