21 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 1:50 PM by patgolfneb

    Pricing

    gb18

      Just another example....give whatever reason you wish for idiocy, but here is why I will not pay these prices for "0's and 1's"..............

      Hardcover
      $14.73
      $28.00 List Price
      (Save 47%)
      Buy from BN.com
      Available for Pre-Order
      This item will be available on Sep 27, 2011.details
      Eligible for FREE Shipping details
      NOOK Book (eBook)
        • Re: Pricing

          I'm not sure what you are saying.

           

          I see the Nook book is about $1.00 less than the hardcover with the membership discount - so you have to take into consideration the $25.00 per membership fee.

           

          But there are two reasons I choose ebooks - like the note says I can read it the minute it comes out and not have to wait for the shipping and I like instant gratification.  And secondly I only buy hardcovers of books I want to keep and my bookshelves are getting pretty full.

           

          Add to that I can't keep 25 books in my purse in case I get stuck somewhere and have nothing to read.

           

            • Re: Pricing

              I agree Sandie, but not sure if you or anyone else could help me with something...

               

              I get coupons from B&N. Says I can use these for online purchases, but I cannot figure out how to use them when purchasing eBooks. If this actually possible? If we are paying just about the same amount for an eBook as a hard cover, when purchasing the hard cover you can use the coupon, so why not eBooks?

               

              Thanks

            • Re: Pricing

              Random House sets the price of the ebook. The ebook price *may* be reduced when the paperback edition is released.

              • Re: Pricing

                though ebooks have been around awhile, they are still new to the masses.  Thanks to the new ereader revolution millions are now buying ebooks, and as the ereaders price become commoditized so eventually will ebooks. 

                • Re: Pricing

                  Let's not forget that none of us would be discussing (or not discussing, as the case may be) this issue were it not for the fact that writers/authors, produce the novels and stories and poems and memoirs and essays, etc., that become hard covers and/or paperbacks and/or now, ebooks.  These writers deserve to earn the same amount for their hard work (and in my opinion, they do not receive nearly enough for their work product) regardless of how that work is distributed.

                   

                  If ebooks were to be greatly reduced in price compared to their printed counterpart, somebody would have to take a cut in profit.  Of course, it wouldn't be the publishers or the distributors because they have all the clout, even though the publisher and the distributors are the ones who actually save money on ebooks.  It would be the writer who'd lose out.   

                   

                  Reading on an eReader compared to a printed book has many advantages.  Not only the convenience of portability of many books in one package but also the convenience of being able to immediately look up definitions of words, and doing research on ideas presented in the book that you might not be familiar with.  I really love that feature on my NC, to be able to immediately go to the internet and research something and then quickly return to the book... and thereafter annotate it to the ebook itself.  There are many other conveniences and niceties of ebooks versus printed.  I never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to prefer ebooks over printed ones for the reasons stated plus the fact that my own library is bulging at the seams.  I'll have to add on to my home and expand my library room if I continue purchasing printed books to the extent that I once did.   I suspect it's cheaper for me now to buy ebooks.   

                   

                  Given all this, I don't find the cost of books, and new releases, objectionable at all.   In fact, they are a pretty good deal.  But those who do find the cost objectionable can find many books that are either free, or very inexpensive, or available for loan.  

                   

                   

                   

                   

                   

                    • Re: Pricing

                      furyu wrote:

                      Let's not forget that none of us would be discussing (or not discussing, as the case may be) this issue were it not for the fact that writers/authors, produce the novels and stories and poems and memoirs and essays, etc., that become hard covers and/or paperbacks and/or now, ebooks.  These writers deserve to earn the same amount for their hard work (and in my opinion, they do not receive nearly enough for their work product) regardless of how that work is distributed.

                       

                      If ebooks were to be greatly reduced in price compared to their printed counterpart, somebody would have to take a cut in profit.  Of course, it wouldn't be the publishers or the distributors because they have all the clout, even though the publisher and the distributors are the ones who actually save money on ebooks.  It would be the writer who'd lose out.   

                       

                      Reading on an eReader compared to a printed book has many advantages.  Not only the convenience of portability of many books in one package but also the convenience of being able to immediately look up definitions of words, and doing research on ideas presented in the book that you might not be familiar with.  I really love that feature on my NC, to be able to immediately go to the internet and research something and then quickly return to the book... and thereafter annotate it to the ebook itself.  There are many other conveniences and niceties of ebooks versus printed.  I never thought I'd say this but I'm starting to prefer ebooks over printed ones for the reasons stated plus the fact that my own library is bulging at the seams.  I'll have to add on to my home and expand my library room if I continue purchasing printed books to the extent that I once did.   I suspect it's cheaper for me now to buy ebooks.   

                       

                      Given all this, I don't find the cost of books, and new releases, objectionable at all.   In fact, they are a pretty good deal.  But those who do find the cost objectionable can find many books that are either free, or very inexpensive, or available for loan.  

                       

                       

                       

                       

                       


                      Well said.

                      • Re: Pricing

                         

                         

                        "If ebooks were to be greatly reduced in price compared to their printed counterpart, somebody would have to take a cut in profit."

                         

                        You are not taking into account the higher cost involved w/ the raw material, printing, transporting etc. of hard cover books.

                         

                        e-books should be cheaper, for that reason alone.

                      • Re: Pricing
                        gb18

                        Sometimes pricing makes a little more sense.  This listing gives me some hope!

                        Hardcover
                        $16.16
                        $25.00 List Price
                        (Save 35%)
                        Buy from BN.com
                        Usually ships within 24 hoursdetails
                        Eligible for FREE Shipping details
                        $14.92
                        $25.00 List Price
                        (Save 40%)
                        Used & New from MarketplaceUsually ships in 1-2 business days
                         
                        NOOK Book (eBook)
                        • Re: Pricing
                          I understand the pricing of new books, but what infuriates me is increasing the ebook price on books that are not new. For an example a book is originally priced at $9.99 and two others in the series are $4.99. The book suddenly becomes a best seller so the publisher raises the price of the current ebook title to $12.99 and the first two to $7.99. They cannot raise the prices of the DTB's so they raise the price of the ebooks. To me, this smacks of nothing but pure, unadulterated, unethical greed on the part of the publishers. Well, maybe not unethical, but you get my drift.
                            • Re: Pricing

                              Nerdymamaw wrote:
                              I understand the pricing of new books, but what infuriates me is increasing the ebook price on books that are not new. For an example a book is originally priced at $9.99 and two others in the series are $4.99. The book suddenly becomes a best seller so the publisher raises the price of the current ebook title to $12.99 and the first two to $7.99. They cannot raise the prices of the DTB's so they raise the price of the ebooks. To me, this smacks of nothing but pure, unadulterated, unethical greed on the part of the publishers. Well, maybe not unethical, but you get my drift.

                               

                              It isn't unethical, it is free enterprise. It isn't the same as someone charging $100 for a bottle of water during a hurricane. It is the pricing of a luxury item. Before gas jumped to the $4 plus a gallon mark, a lot of small used cars were being sold by owners for $2000. Many now sell for $5000, $6000, and more. And they are a lot more necessary than an ebook. Yes, I'd love to buy everything for a lot less, but unfortunately sellers see demand and jump on it. It's sad, but reality.
                            • Re: Pricing
                              patgolfneb

                              I don't think there are many absolutes here. There has to be a balance between various interests. Part of this is ethical behavior. Business leaders who act as if their only obligation is to maximize profits are morally bankrupt, especially when they hide behind or manipulate laws and regulations to gamble with investors money and the fruits of employees labor. Investors who demand unrealistic returns, with never a down quarter are part of the problem also. Some unions are rigid or refuse to acknowledge that one good year doesn't justify  huge pay increases. Of course the modern attitude of treating employees as if they are the equivalent of electrical expense, or serfs always demanding they do more with less in tiny cubicles while higher ups receive rewards completely out of proportion to their contributions doesn't engender loyalty. I don't see much reason to believe BN is a lot better or worse than other companies. I do know as a consumer that we need to do a better job of defining value by more than just the absolute lowest price. The ability to receive nook assistance in store is an expense, especially if it exceeds the most basic stuff.  Will you be able to get competent assistance for minimum wage?  A significant part of Amazons price advantage has been helping customers avoid sales taxes.  The internet is no longer a fledging sales channel. We as consumers must be willing to accept our obligations also. I do believe execs in many businesses and their boards are the worst offenders, but they are hardly the only ones rationalizing selfish behavior.

                                • Re: Pricing
                                  orb9220

                                  "I do know as a consumer that we need to do a better job of defining value by more than just the absolute lowest price. The ability to receive nook assistance in store is an expense, especially if it exceeds the most basic stuff."

                                   

                                  Yep I was willing to pay more for that option of  a walk in help. And tho minimum wage where helpful and a couple where even geek like whizes with knowledge and helpful. And do get miffed with spoiled consumers that have entitlement issues.

                                   

                                  And yep agree that the degree of which companies & government have gotten away with is our fault of lazy apathetic inaction and the irresponsible behaviour of the masses to become active in our society.And to step up to there responsiblities to each other as a society and be heard and hold companies or government accountable for their actions.

                                   

                                  I guess it easier for me to take pot-shots at the top of the thrones. Identifing the Bad Guy is a lot easier.

                                   

                                  As blaming the majority Us for the problems makes me feel so inadequate and impotent.

                                  .

                                   

                                • Re: Pricing

                                  Let me start out by saying I love my Nook Color and I love e-books.  But I have been waiting a year for the price of Jim Butchers "Ghost story" to come down in price.  It started out as $14.99 for the Nook version, and now 4 Days before the release of the $9.99 paper back it jumped to $19.99?   I realize B&N has not controll over this, but Penguin Books is gouging us all!  I am half tempeted to go to the libary.  I will probably by the paperback, but my enjoyment of my nook is tranished!

                                    • Re: Pricing
                                      orb9220

                                      AndyQ_WI wrote:

                                      Let me start out by saying I love my Nook Color and I love e-books.  But I have been waiting a year for the price of Jim Butchers "Ghost story" to come down in price.  It started out as $14.99 for the Nook version, and now 4 Days before the release of the $9.99 paper back it jumped to $19.99?   I realize B&N has not controll over this, but Penguin Books is gouging us all!  I am half tempeted to go to the libary.  I will probably by the paperback, but my enjoyment of my nook is tranished!


                                      I Hear you and agree. Why I rolled my own CM7 card and have the Kindle app installed. As I want as many as possible competive pricing choices for my ebooks.
                                      But the agency model has really put a damper on fair & competive pricing. And forced me to do more researching independent authors out there and more reading free older classics out there.
                                      I will never pay more than $9.99 for an ebook.  That's my limit. Meet it or you lost a sale. Simple as that. Wish more people that are feeling gouged would just say No instead of grumbling as they click on the Buy button. If you feel it's a good buy and worth the price than by all means give the button a click and enjoy the read. But many books for me aren't worth the asking price.
                                      .
                                      .
                                      • Re: Pricing
                                        NookGardener

                                        AndyQ_WI wrote:

                                        Let me start out by saying I love my Nook Color and I love e-books.  But I have been waiting a year for the price of Jim Butchers "Ghost story" to come down in price.  It started out as $14.99 for the Nook version, and now 4 Days before the release of the $9.99 paper back it jumped to $19.99?   I realize B&N has not controll over this, but Penguin Books is gouging us all!  I am half tempeted to go to the libary.  I will probably by the paperback, but my enjoyment of my nook is tranished!


                                        Have been watching this title since you pointed this out.  Yesterday morning (when paperback went on sale), was still listed as $19.99 in ebook format by the big four sellers (Amazon, B&N, Kobo and Sony).  But this morning, 8/8/12, has been reduced to $9.99 on both Amazon and B&N.  Hopefully it was just a typo on the part of the publisher!  (And hurray!  B&N wasn't the last one to update the price!)

                                         

                                         http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ghost-story-jim-butcher/1100249744?ean=9781101476178

                                      • "The company has lowered average selling prices..."
                                        gb18

                                        "The company has lowered average selling prices to compete with retailers such as Amazon...."

                                         

                                        http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/672fc166-eb86-11e1-9356-00144feab49a.html

                                          • Re: "The company has lowered average selling prices..."
                                            keriflur

                                            gb18 wrote:

                                            "The company has lowered average selling prices to compete with retailers such as Amazon...."

                                             

                                            http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/672fc166-eb86-11e1-9356-00144feab49a.html


                                            FT won't let me read without subscribing.  Any chance you could post the main points?  I'm rather curious.

                                              • Re: "The company has lowered average selling prices..."
                                                gb18

                                                Note:  I found this link on Bing, with a "News" search for:  ebook prices.  No sub required that way.

                                                 

                                                Ebook sales narrow Barnes & Noble losses
                                                By Anjli Raval in New York
                                                Barnes & Noble said its first-quarter loss narrowed as the bookseller was boosted by sales of ebooks and other digital content as well as sales of the Fifty Shades of Grey series.
                                                In the three months to July 28 the company reported a net loss of $41m, or 78 cents per share, compared with a loss of $56.6m, or 99 cents per share, a year earlier. Analysts had forecast a loss of 98 cents.
                                                “During the first quarter, we continued to see improvement in both our rapidly growing Nook business, which saw digital content sales increase 46 per cent during the quarter, and at our bookstores, which continue to benefit from market consolidation and strong sales of the Fifty Shades series,” said William Lynch, chief executive.
                                                Barnes & Noble’s introduction of Nook ebook readers has helped the company offset the decline of printed books in the US while establishing a sizeable presence in the US ebook market.
                                                Total Nook revenues held steady at $192m as a 46 per cent rise in digital content sales offset losses in revenues from device sales. The company has lowered average selling prices to compete with retailers such as Amazon, which dominates the US ebook market.
                                                Amazon has 60 per cent or more of the US ebook market, while Barnes & Noble estimated its own share at 25-30 per cent.
                                                The company announced on Monday it would launch the Nook in the UK this October, as part of the company’s push to expand its ebook business internationally.
                                                Total sales edged 2.5 per cent higher from $1.42bn last year to $1.45bn. Sales at Barnes & Noble’s book shops and website rose 2 per cent to $1.12bn while same-store sales increased by 4.6 per cent.
                                                The company said it had benefited from the liquidation of Borders’ bookstores.
                                                Gross margin improved to 28.5 per cent from 27.3 per cent.
                                                Shares in Barnes & Noble rose 3.8 per cent to $12.35 in pre-market trading on Tuesday.

                                            • Re: Pricing
                                              patgolfneb
                                              Just curious, but I haven't noticed lower prices, at least on new releases. Could the lower prices be a reflection of a change in product mix. It seems to me if buyers are embracing lower priced indy authors or there is a high take rate on free Fridays from new device owners looking for bargains then it might appear based on average transaction prices that prices were lower. I am possibly to suspicious, but with the DOJ suit and all they might not have broken out agency books separately? Just in the name of simplicity of course!