I am having trouble sideloading books into my Nook HD+ 16GB. I previously owned a Nook Color and used Calibre to sideload my book library (~300 books in EPUB format) to it and it did it perfectly, with all books being read by my Nook Color. I assumed it would be done the same way with the Nook HD+ so here are the steps I took to do it:
- Connect my Nook HD+ to my PC using the supplied USB cable. (Device shows up as BNTV600 in My Computer and as a portable media player)
- Open up Calibre, it detects my Nook HD+ automatically and asks if I want it to manage the device, I click yes. My device and the SD card now show up in Calibre, the device as a black tablet icon and the SD card as an SD card icon.
- I go to my Calibre library and highlight all of my books (all of them contain metadata and covers for reference) and right click one then click "Send to Device>Send to Storage Card A" and after about 2 minutes all of my books have been transferred to my Nook HD+.
- I disconnect the cable and open my Books tab in my Library.
- The Nook HD+ shows all ~300 books in the library with their respective titles, authors, and covers, everything looks fine.
*This is where an issue arises. Up until this point everything seemed fine.*
- I open up a random book to see if it loads and I get this pop-up:
Sorry, cannot open this book."
- I try opening up any book and they will not open, all EPUB files giving me the same message.
- After I close that message, another pop-up comes up saying "Unfortunately, Reader has stopped."
- I open up the My Files tab in my Library app and navigate to my SD card. All of the books are stored in "SD Card>Books." I try opening one up from there and they still give me the same message,
*At this point I am assuming the books are in the wrong path on my SD card since Calibre previously synced my books to the Nook Color in "SD Card>My Files>Books" indstead of "SD Card>Books." *
- I change the sync location in Calibre to this and remove all books from my device then re-sync so that they get the new path.
- After resyncing, I try opening one of the books again (All ~300 books showed up in my library again with all covers/data) yet it gives me the same error dialog.
- Now I think it might be that the books got corrupted, so I navigated to the SD Card in My Computer and opened one of the books using Sigil (An EPUB editing software) and it loads fine.
- After that I assume it might be my SD card so I send a book to my internal storage to try reading it yet get the same error dialog again.
Can someone help me with this issue? Here's a TLDR for anyone who doesn't want to read:
*Sent book library to Nook HD+ sd card as well as internal storage in Calibre
*Nook doesn't read them and gives me a "Sorry, cannot open this book" error.
I'm really stumped and can't get the Nook to read the EPUB files. I know it isn't the books because they are all retail EPUBs purchased online so that I can sync them to multiple devices without any DRM hassles. My other Nook Color and tablet read them fine, but my Nook HD+ will not open the books. Has anyone else had any problems with sideloaded books?
I really hope someone can help me sort this out and I look forward to a reply!