I've had my Nook 1E with 3G for a long time. I got it when that was the ONLY Nook B&N carried. It's getting pretty worn out and B&N doesn't carry the batteries anymore, so I needed a new Nook. I was expeccting a Simple Touch, but my wonderful husband gave me a Nook HD for Christmas. I've already figured out a lot on it, but a couple of things have me stumped and I didn't find the answers in the user's guide.
1. Can you archive books in your library? I just can't seem to find a way to do it. I like to archive books I've finished.
2. How do you get rid of the icons for apps that you don't use? I want to get rid of a couple of the pre-loaded apps. I found where you can un-install them, but they still appear on the app screen.
3. I was diligent about checking the Unbound blog on my N1E everyday. It doesn't seem to be on the HD. Is there anyway to suscribe to any of the B&N blogs without going online?
4. What apps are must-haves?
1. Cah you archive books in your library. Unless you've downloaded the book manually, all your books should have a small cloud with an arrow in the upper left hand corner of the book cover. This tells you that your book is stored in the cloud and available for download if you want it. If you want to archive it instead, give a long (2 sec) or so tap on the cover and it should popup with choices such as delete, archive, shelve, etc. You can select archive it then.
2. Same with apps you don't want to show on your device. Archive them as well. I wouldn't delete them unless you are sure that you will never want them again as you would have to repurchase them. Apps that come with the device are permanent, you can not remove them from your device, though you can remove them from your home page if you choose. Again, long tap on the app, when the menu pops up, choose "remove from Home" or whatever choice suits your needs. You can also long tap the home page and the menu for choosing items you want on your home screen will come up.
3. You will have to access the blogs through the web browser. When you open your web browser, hit the small bookmark on the right upper corner, that will open your bookmarks. You'll find many helpful BN bookmards there to choose from, I think unbound is one of them, though it can be accessed through the book clubs bookmark as well.
4. Must have apps: If you read pdfs, you'll need a good pdf reader, stock reader is not that good. Overdrive if you use a public library for ebooks or audiobooks, a file manager, a calculater/clock app, a different browser such as dolphin if you don't care for the stock browser, are a few that I suggest for definite. Most of your apps will be chosen by what you personally feel you need.
Hope this is helpful.
Compulsive Reader, HD and HD+ doesn't have Archive option since I think 2.0.4.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't had Archive option since a few updates ago (now on 2.0.5). Also read this on the forums somewhere.