I'm writing up some instructions for my mom to help her with sideloading her BN purchased books to her Nook Simple Touch. She's been having trouble with her WiFi access at home, so until I can get up to her house to figure out the problem, she's sideloading the books. Which is fine, except I have to walk her through it each time. So I wrote these instructions.
I would appreciate any feedback on the instructions keeping in mind that they have to be very specific for her, no assuming she understands or knows what I'm referring to.
Thanks for any feedback.
If you don’t have WiFi access and you buy a book from B&N, you can download it the PC and then sideload it to the Nook. Sideloading is simply a fancy term for copying the book from your PC to the Nook. So how do you do this?
- Buy the book
- Open Nook for PC on your computer
- Nook for PC should automatically sync to your online account and download the book. If it doesn’t, click on the sync icon in the upper right corner.
- Make sure that My Library – All Items or My Library – eBooks is selected on the left.
- If the sort button doesn’t say Recent, click on it until it does. This will put your new books at the top. (Note, in the instructions for her, I have a picture of this)
- Once your book is downloaded to Nook for PC, connect your Nook to the computer.
- You should see a popup window that says “DEVICE DETECTED”. Click yes.
- Now you should see a file sharing window. The left white box is the Nook, the right white box is your computer (desktop).
- Click on My Library next to the word Desktop.
- Find the book you want to transfer and click on it to highlight it. If you want to transfer more than one book, hold down the control key on your keyboard and click the next book you want to transfer.
- Click on the left facing double arrow between the two white boxes. This will transfer the files.
- Now you should see the books in the left (Nook) white box, indicating they have been copied onto the Nook. (Note: They will still be on the desktop side also.)
- You have completed transferring the books to the Nook. Now you need to eject the Nook and disconnect from the computer.
- Open Windows Explorer (File Manager), locate the Nook drive on the left pane. Right mouse click and select eject.
- Open the Nook to the library and your books should be there. If you have the sort order set to recent, they should be at the top. If not, they’ll either be in author or title order.
Alternate to step 7. If you already have your Nook connected when you load Nook for PC, then click on "My Stuff" on the left and click on the button at the top that says "Manage Devices" to open the file sharing window.