I loved my Nook Classic, but it just developed a series of black lines in the lower left hand corner. My amazing fiancee replaced it with a Nook Glowlight.
Enjoying the improved screen, but not sure how to use the interface in a couple of specific scenarios:
- Hitting the "more" button in the menu when reading a book brings up the store when reading the Nook User Guide, Quickstart, or sideloaded content. Does that mean there is no way to archive, hide or delete the User Guide & Quickstart?
- When I search or browse for books in the store, nothing happens when I tap on the cover image or link. How do I buy books from the device? The undeletable User Guide says I just select it.
My account is connected and up-to-date, and all content I purchased on the Nook Classic transferred just fine.
Nope, you cannot delete the user guide or the quickstart. You are stuck with them forever.
In the shop, do you have an option for a list view? That may work better. But yeah, you should be able to click on the book to select it (unless they changed the NGL store and forgot to update the guide, the NST works that way).
Nope. Here's my step-by-step, from sleep:
1. Press N button, swipe to unlock
2. Press "Shop" on home screen
3. Tap "Books"
4. Tap search icon (magnifying glass)
5. Type in keyword (here, "wedding")
6. From results, tap any book. NO RESULT.
7. Tap list view icon
8. Tap any book title. Or long-tap. Or double-tap. NO RESULT
9. Tap"shop" icon
10. Tap on promotional ad to buy a magazine subscription.
11. Tap on any title, as icon or in list view. NO RESULT.
12. Click N button to return home. Grumble a little that the QuickStart Guide is still appearing in the "Reading Now" section
13. Tap on book promotion from home screen (advertising Sycamore Row by John Grisham, which I would actually consider buying). Return to magazine subscription page where I can't click on anything (NOT Sycamore Row listing).
15. Tap back button to main store interface, then N, then Sycamore Row again. Now I'm back at main store interface. Tap "recommended for you." Same result on book lists.
16. Click N, go back to reading my sideloaded book, relax and remember I usually buy books from the website anyway... but that I've worked my share of web development jobs and would get fired and possibly sued if I ever released a shopping cart interface that didn't let people buy things.
Turn it off and back on.
Just did that. I then clicked the John Grisham link and it went to the book. Elated, I went back and searched for "wedding" again, same problem. I went back to the store home and clicked on the new release promotion. Shows the list of books, but can't select any of them.
I tried visiting the Nook support chat at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/customerservice/chat/
...it doesn't list Glowlight as an option, but that doesn't matter, because when I clicked "Start Chat" it went to a broken page.
Turns out this was partly user error. I was able to enter the chat after trying it without anything in the comments.
Turns out I have my account linked to a PayPal debit card which expired last month. This was the problem. I updated it and everything's working fine. Pretty astounded that they wouldn't have popped up an error message or something, but at least it's working.