1 2 First Previous 19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2012 7:56 AM by roustabout

    On the verge of returning my NT

      I LOVE this device, but I really hate how B&N is trying to put a strangle hold on how and who I buy apps, music or yeah even books from.


      Firstly you need to face up to facts ... your app store is a joke. If you want people to buy things from your store over the Android Market Place, do it by making your store better, not by making it impossible for me to buy from someone else. I don't like being manipulated, it just pisses me off. And I don't think I'm alone.


      Secondly, when people buy a device they have this crazy idea that the device belongs to them. You seem to think it still belongs to you though. It doesn't, and all of this just makes me want to root the damn thing out of spite.


      Lastly, you say this "update" disallowing side loading is for security reasons ... ... really?

      At least be honest about it. Your customers aren't stupid. They read remember ??

       

      I'm going to sleep on it, but Im on the verge of returning my NT.


      Either way, you can bet I'll think twice before buying another device from you again. If there is another device from B&N after this that is.

       

        • 1. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

          Then return it.

           

          Obviously, you're a user who was seeking a tablet and not a reader (with certain pluses).

          • 2. Re: On the verge of returning my NT
            bobstro

            Or a user who thought the marketing claims of "thousands of apps" might actually be true.

            • 3. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

              I understand the frustration, but I'm also of the opinion, that the best place to research a product prior to purchase is a form like this one.  This is where you will find real-world opinions about what this device can and cannot do.   Before I got this device, I knew exactly what it could and could not do based upon what I read in this and other forums.  

               

              The responsibility is on the buyer to do the research.  Doing so prevents the aggravation of being frustrated by the surprises you find because you didn't read up on the device before buying it.

              • 4. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                 


                rafalweb wrote:

                I understand the frustration, but I'm also of the opinion, that the best place to research a product prior to purchase is a form like this one.  This is where you will find real-world opinions about what this device can and cannot do.   Before I got this device, I knew exactly what it could and could not do based upon what I read in this and other forums.  

                 

                The responsibility is on the buyer to do the research.  Doing so prevents the aggravation of being frustrated by the surprises you find because you didn't read up on the device before buying it.


                People like me, the early adopters, ARE the people who provide the forum information.

                 

                Once the reviews are available, how exactly do you propose we ensure that features that WERE there when we bought the device are not later erased by a software update?

                 

                Seems to me like the OP has a reasonable complaint.  But there's no point in complaining, just return it and get something that meets your requirements.

                 

                 

                 

                • 5. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                  sisquack wrote: If you want people to buy things from your store over the Android Market Place,


                  The Nook never allowed loading apps from the Android market without needing to root the device.  Which you can still do. QED.

                   

                  • 6. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                    It is a tablet, and that's what they ar selling it as.

                    • 7. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                       It was a Christmases present. I had nothing to do with buying it. The point is still that this tablet is made and sold as a device that does a lot and handles a lot.

                      It's being sold as as "tablet" not a reader.

                       

                       

                      I don't see how B&N removing functionality in this way makes any seance or how this should have been anticipated by any prospective buyer.

                      • 8. Re: On the verge of returning my NT
                        roustabout

                        OK, I have to ask:  "Once the reviews are available, how exactly do you propose we ensure that features that WERE there when we bought the device"

                         

                        I don't recall seeing a serious review of the tablet that mentioned the app sideloading without also mentioning that it was a software bug;  many of the comments on that, here and elsewhere, asked how long it would take to fix the bug.  

                         

                        I'm open to evidence of reviews that omitted that, just saying I did read quite a bit about the NT early on - it's a great platform in a lot of ways - and I don't recall reviews mentioning app sideloading as a feature they expected to last.  

                         

                        This how-to certainly didn't anticipate that the hole would be closed, true, but it doesn't seem like a review to my eye.  

                         

                        http://liliputing.com/2011/11/how-to-sideload-apps-on-the-nook-tablet-amazon-appstore-go-launcher-ex.html 

                        • 9. Re: On the verge of returning my NT
                          Roust, and, Keith, hasn't it become obvious that common sense and critical thinking don't matter on internet forums. I also have searched for any mainline review or BN statement that this was a feature or sideloading apps was a feature. Obviously the enthusiasts blogs discovering this unintended loophole and reporting it must obligate BN, after after all they speak for BN, don't they? Every product must have every possible feature, even if there are substantial price differences. Imagine my surprise that there are full featured versions of my bargain PC programs locked away inside, available to me only after paying for the upgrade. It is already there, how dare they not give me the entire program, after all the online blog I read told me it's there and how to unlock it. Now they won't even answer my questions about the program. I can't believe the lousy customer service, how dare they deny me the right to do whatever I want, my freedom has been denied. SOUND FAMILIAR?
                          • 10. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                            Actually Roustabout your example is perfect:

                             

                            Take the original Review:

                             

                             

                            The Barnes & Noble NOOK Tablet ships with a couple of great apps pre-loaded including Pandora, Netflix, a decent email app, and an excellent eBook reader. There’s also an app section of the B&N Shop where you can browse for additional apps for the tablet — but the selection is pretty limited.

                            Fortunately it’s pretty easy to install third party apps on the NOOK Tablet. You don’t even need to root the tablet or install any custom firmware to do it. You might need a microSD card though.

                             

                             

                            No where in there does it state that this feature is a bug.. Just that ti is easy to do without rooting or installing custom firmware..

                             

                            Listen to the video... Nothing about this being a bug that would be patched soon, or even that it was a bug at all.. Just simple to turn on..

                             

                            The only place that anything of conflict shows up is in the updates starting 12/23/2011.. And still not mentioned as a bug that was fixed.. Just it only works on 1.4.0..

                             

                            So Purchasing my Nook Tablet on 12/09/11 did not give me insight when I was doing research per-12/09/2011 to the fact that this was a bug that needed to be fixed, or even that it was an unintended feature.. Just that a default setting needed to be changed.

                            • 11. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                              floridaphil wrote:

                               


                              rafalweb wrote:

                              I understand the frustration, but I'm also of the opinion, that the best place to research a product prior to purchase is a form like this one.  This is where you will find real-world opinions about what this device can and cannot do.   Before I got this device, I knew exactly what it could and could not do based upon what I read in this and other forums.  

                               

                              The responsibility is on the buyer to do the research.  Doing so prevents the aggravation of being frustrated by the surprises you find because you didn't read up on the device before buying it.


                              People like me, the early adopters, ARE the people who provide the forum information.

                               

                              Once the reviews are available, how exactly do you propose we ensure that features that WERE there when we bought the device are not later erased by a software update?

                               

                              Seems to me like the OP has a reasonable complaint.  But there's no point in complaining, just return it and get something that meets your requirements.

                               

                               

                               


                              I'm not saying that the OP's concerns are unreasonable.   BUT, early adopters will always risk the unpleasant surprises that the rest of us know about later on, b/c the adopters write about them in the forums.  For that, I thank the early adopters.  So, if the OP is an early adopter, then the unwanted lack of apps is an issue that comes with the territory (though in that case, BN should NOT be advertising "thousands" of apps so early on), and if not an early adopter, then my original point stands.... the forums are there to provide potential buyers with the information, good and bad, upon which said buyer may base their informed decision.

                              • 12. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                                patgolfneb wrote:
                                Imagine my surprise that there are full featured versions of my bargain PC programs locked away inside, available to me only after paying for the upgrade. It is already there, how dare they not give me the entire program, after all the online blog I read told me it's there and how to unlock it.

                                 

                                Going further with your example: Let's hypothesize that a software company releases "trial" software  and it is supposed to let you use it for a month but they accidently allow unlimited access. Later they release an update that fixes that bug and perhaps even causes already downloaded previous version to start failing if it accesses the internet and "phones home".

                                 

                                Then applying the logic many people on this forum are espousing would mean that the software company is doing something illegal and unethical.

                                • 13. Re: On the verge of returning my NT
                                  LarryOnLI

                                  patgolfneb wrote:
                                  Roust, and, Keith, hasn't it become obvious that common sense and critical thinking don't matter on internet forums. I also have searched for any mainline review or BN statement that this was a feature or sideloading apps was a feature. Obviously the enthusiasts blogs discovering this unintended loophole and reporting it must obligate BN, after after all they speak for BN, don't they? Every product must have every possible feature, even if there are substantial price differences. Imagine my surprise that there are full featured versions of my bargain PC programs locked away inside, available to me only after paying for the upgrade. It is already there, how dare they not give me the entire program, after all the online blog I read told me it's there and how to unlock it. Now they won't even answer my questions about the program. I can't believe the lousy customer service, how dare they deny me the right to do whatever I want, my freedom has been denied. SOUND FAMILIAR?

                                  LOL, the most egregious example of this I've ever seen was in Computer Numerical Control machine controllers by Cincinnati Milacron.

                                   

                                  The controllers all came with 20 MB (not GB) hard drives, but you needed to license the capacity in (I believe) 5 MB increments. So even though you had a 20 MB drive, if you only paid for 5 MB you could only use 5.

                                   

                                  This was back in the early 90's BTW.

                                   

                                  • 14. Re: On the verge of returning my NT

                                    LarryOnLI wrote:

                                    patgolfneb wrote:
                                    Roust, and, Keith, hasn't it become obvious that common sense and critical thinking don't matter on internet forums. I also have searched for any mainline review or BN statement that this was a feature or sideloading apps was a feature. Obviously the enthusiasts blogs discovering this unintended loophole and reporting it must obligate BN, after after all they speak for BN, don't they? Every product must have every possible feature, even if there are substantial price differences. Imagine my surprise that there are full featured versions of my bargain PC programs locked away inside, available to me only after paying for the upgrade. It is already there, how dare they not give me the entire program, after all the online blog I read told me it's there and how to unlock it. Now they won't even answer my questions about the program. I can't believe the lousy customer service, how dare they deny me the right to do whatever I want, my freedom has been denied. SOUND FAMILIAR?

                                    LOL, the most egregious example of this I've ever seen was in Computer Numerical Control machine controllers by Cincinnati Milacron.

                                     

                                    The controllers all came with 20 MB (not GB) hard drives, but you needed to license the capacity in (I believe) 5 MB increments. So even though you had a 20 MB drive, if you only paid for 5 MB you could only use 5.

                                     

                                    This was back in the early 90's BTW.

                                     


                                    IBM did the same thing with some of their tape drive array controllers in the late 70's / 80's.  There was a speed upgrade which could be performed onsite by a technician. He cleared the computer room of all personnel and proceeded to move a rubber drive belt off of one pulley onto another larger pulley. And it cost HUGE money!  Then he relaxed for 25 minutes and only then permitted the personnel back into the computer room.  Marketing, marketing.

                                     

                                     

                                    1 2 First Previous