This one's getting great reviews at Amazon. Reviews indicate that it's not a blatantly Christian novel, and that non-Christians would be comfortable with it.
The Discovery [Revell/Baker]
An Engrossing Story of Family Secrets and a Love for the Ages
When aspiring writer Michael Warner inherits his grandfather's venerable Charleston estate, he settles in to write his first novel. But within the confines of the stately home, he discovers an unpublished manuscript that his grandfather, a literary giant whose novels sold in the millions, had kept hidden from everyone--but which he clearly intended Michael to find. As he delves deep into the exciting tale about spies and sabotage, Michael discovers something that has the power to change not only his future but his past as well.
Laced with suspense and intrigue, The Discovery is a richly woven novel that explores the incredible sacrifices that must be made to forge the love of a lifetime. Author Dan Walsh delivers yet another unique and heartfelt story that will stick with you long after you've turned the last page.
By Joyce Magnin
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Publication date: 9/28/2011
Series: Bright's Pond Series
Is There Really a Fountain of Youth in Paradise?
Welcome back to Bright 's Pond, where strange happenings are afoot at the Greenbrier Nursing Home. Strange even for Bright 's Pond. The residents suddenly act like kids again riding trikes, climbing trees, and of all things falling in love. Some of the townsfolk blame it on the crooked new gazebo, or its builder, a quirky little man who quotes Don Quixote, collects water from the fountain at the Paradise trailer park, and disappears on a regular basis.
While Chief of Police Mildred Blessing investigates the mystery, Griselda and her friends deal with a luau Thanksgiving, preparations for the Christmas pageant, and maybe even an upcoming wedding. Only, in Bright 's Pond, nothing ever really goes as planned . . .
By Cynthia Ruchti
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Publication date: 5/28/2010
When Libby’s husband Greg fails to return from a two-week canoe trip to the Canadian wilderness, the authorities soon write off his disappearance as an unhappy husband’s escape from an empty marriage and unrewarding career. Their marriage might have survived if their daughter Lacey hadn’t died…and if Greg hadn’t been responsible. Libby enlists the aid of her wilderness savvy father-in-law and her faith-walking best friend to help her search for clues to her husband’s disappearance…if for no other reason than to free her to move on. What the trio discovers in the search upends Libby’s presumptions about her husband and rearranges her faith.
From Ashes to Honor
by Loree Lough
- ISBN-13: 9781426736520
- Publisher: Abingdon Press
- Publication date: 9/1/2011
- Series: First Responders Series , #1
- File size: 1 MB
If he had only answered that last phone call from the World Trade Center . . .
Minutes before two jumbo jets changed U.S. history, New York police officer Austin Finley ignored the call from his brother, who’d been bugging him for days. Trying to live with his one regret causes hatred and bitterness to consume Austin, and when counselor Mercy Samara recommends desk duty, Austin resigns. Haunted by her own memories of 9/11, Mercy takes a job as a school counselor in Baltimore. When Austin, now an EMT, responds to an emergency at Mercy’s school, both are stunned and wary.
Finally their common—and painful—memories turn suspicion into friendship, then romance.
But hard questions linger: Can they truly move beyond their past harsh judgments and harsh words? Will their past finally bring them closer or—as the tenth anniversary of 9/11 draws near—drive them farther apart?
The Boy in the Lot
by Ronald Malfi
- ISBN-13: 9781619213876
- Publisher: Samhain Publishing, Ltd.
- Publication date: 9/4/2012
- Pages: 18
- File size: 672 KB
Fear lives in Stillwater.
Eleven-year-old Mark Davis wasn’t happy at all that his family was moving to the small town of Stillwater. He worried that he’d miss his old friends and not be able to make new ones. But he’ll soon learn that was the least of his worries. Something deadly is waiting to welcome him to town.
Enjoy this chilling, short companion piece to Ronald Malfi’s new novel to get just a hint of the terrors that await you—and the residents of Stillwater—in The Narrows!
The Discovery is no longer free.
With a suitcase full of Jane Austen novels en español, Amy Elizabeth Smith set off on a yearlong Latin American adventure: a traveling book club with Jane. In six unique, unforgettable countries, she gathered book-loving new friends— taxi drivers and teachers, poets and politicians— to read Emma, Sense and Sensibility, and Pride and Prejudice.
Whether sharing rooster beer with Guatemalans, joining the crowd at a Mexican boxing match, feeding a horde of tame iguanas with Ecuadorean children, or tangling with argumentative booksellers in Argentina, Amy came to learn what Austen knew all along: that we're not always speaking the same language— even when we're speaking the same language.
But with true Austen instinct, she could recognize when, unexpectedly, she'd found her own Señor Darcy.
All Roads Lead to Austen celebrates the best of what we love about books and revels in the pleasure of sharing a good book— with good friends.
- Publisher: Sourcebooks, Incorporated
- ISBN-13: 9781585588916
- Publisher: Baker Publishing Group
- Publication date: 6/1/2008
- Series:Timber Ridge Reflections Series
What happens when the realization of a dream isn't what you imagined... and the secret you've spent a lifetime guarding is finally laid bare?
Determined to become one of the country's premier newspaper photographers, Elizabeth Westbrook travels to the Colorado Territory to capture the grandeur of the mountains surrounding the remote town of Timber Ridge. She hopes, too, that the cool, dry air of Colorado, and its renowned hot springs, will cure the mysterious illness that threatens her career, and her life.
Daniel Ranslett, a former Confederate sharpshooter, is a man shackled by his past, and he'll do anything to protect his land, and his solitude. When an outspoken Yankee photographer captures an image that appears key to solving a murder, putting herself in danger, Daniel is called upon to repay a debt. He's a man of his word, but repaying that debt could bring secrets from his past to light.
Forced on a perilous journey together, Daniel and Elizabeth's lives intertwine in ways neither could have imagined when first they met...from a distance.
Nook Book "Limited Time" Freebie List - 9/7/2012
New items are in bold and followed by 3 asterisks. Please make sure that the price is what you expect it to be before hitting "Buy".
- Finger of Guilt (St. Martin's) (1/5)
- For Love of Livvy (Lachesis) (2/8)
- Trail of the Red Diamonds (Galaxy Press, LLC) (8/11)
- Pitch Dark: Dark Days of Fall Sampler: Supernaturally; Fateful; Cold Kiss; A Beautiful Dark; and Eve (HarperCollins Publishers) (8/22)
- Dead Drop (St. Martin's) (12/30)
- Darkhouse (Metal Blonde) (4/5)
- The Boy in the Lot (Samhain Publishing, Ltd.) (7/28)
- The Night Everything Changed (Samhain Publishing, Ltd.) (8/8)
- The Boy in the Lot (Samhain Publishing, Ltd.) (9/6) (***)
- Harlequin Holiday Collection (Harlequin) (12/1)
- The Scargill Cove Case Files (Penguin) (12/8)
- Triple Threat (Harlequin) (12/13)
- Fools Rush In (Baker) (1/5)
- A Valentine from Harlequin: Six Degrees of Romance (Harlequin) (2/1)
- The Italian's Inexperienced Mistress (Harlequin) (2/20)
- Hooked (Harlequin) (4/3)
- Maxwell's Smile (Harlequin) (4/3)
- No One But You (Harlequin) (4/3)
- Already Home (Harlequin) (5/4)
- Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy (Harlequin) (6/6)
- The Inconvenient Duchess (Harlequin) (7/13)
- Hired by the Cowboy (Harlequin) (7/15)
- Triple Threat (Harlequin Enterprises) (7/21)
- The Amazon's Curse (Gena Showalter's Atlantis Series) (Harlequin Enterprises) (7/21)
- When We Touch (MIRA) (8/3)
- Cowboy Dad (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Emergency: Wife Lost and Found (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Married By Mistake (Harlequin) (8/16)
- The New Deputy in Town (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Passion to Die For (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Irresistible Forces (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Dancing In The Moonlight (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Slow Hands (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Sheltering Hearts (Harlequin) (8/16)
- Legacy of the Witch (Harlequin) (9/1) (***)
- Siren Song (Royal Dynasty, Book One) (Ellora's Cave Publishing Inc.) (9/3) (***)
- Death Trap (Robot Wars Series #1) (Tyndale House Publishers) (9/2) (***)
- New Digital Media and Learning as an Emerging Area and ''Worked Examples'' as One Way Forward (MIT Press) (11/11)
Health, Mind & Body
- She Drives Me Crazy (St. Martin's) (4/18)
- Oops! I'm The Paparazzi (Toffee Apple Publishing) (6/22)
- Diary of a Confessions Queen (Medallion Press, Incorporated) (9/1) (***)
- Countdown (A Joe Ledger Short Story) (St. Martin's) (3/2)
- The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket (Atria) (6/12)
- The War of the Worlds (Atria) (6/12)
- The Prince (Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group) (6/20)
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards (Random House) (12/14)
- Hawaii or The Caribbean? (Lonely Planet) (2/1)
- Recession Busting Britain (Lonely Planet) (3/23)
- America the Beautiful (Rand McNally) (6/15)
- Moon National Parks Sampler (Avalon Travel Publishing) (7/24)
- All Roads Lead to Austen: A Year-long Journey with Jane (Sourcebooks, Incorporated) (9/7) (***)
Cooking, Food & Wine
- Circle of Friends Cookbook 25 Brownie & Bar Recipes (Gooseberry ) (5/28)
Exercise & Fitness
- Get-Fit Guy's Secrets to a Better Workout (St. Martin's) (4/3)
- Full-Blooded Fantasy (Simon & Schuster) (11/13)
- Tortured (Roaring Brook Press) (12/8)
- 11:15: The Making of a Halfling (Zondervan) (12/15)
- Penguin Classics (Penguin) (2/23)
- Blood, Sweat and Tears (HarperCollins) (2/2)
- Priced to Move (Baker) (12/1)
- To Love Anew (Baker) (12/28)
- Fools Rush In (Baker) (3/22)
- Gods and Kings (Baker) (6/1)
- Making Waves (Baker) (6/1)
- Paper Roses (Baker) (6/1)
- Priced to Move (Baker Publishing Group) (6/22)
- Homespun Bride (Love Inspired Historical Series) (Steeple Hill Books) (7/2)
- Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek Series #1) (Baker Publishing Group) (7/2)
- Stuck in the Middle (Sister-to-Sister #1) (Baker Publishing Group) (7/2)
- When Calls the Heart (Baker Publishing Group) (8/1)
- Talk of the Town (Baker Publishing Group) (8/7)
- Hide in Plain Sight (Love Inspired Suspense Series #65) (Harlequin) (8/11)
- Secrets (Michelli Family Series #1) (Baker Publishing Group) (8/11)
- When Calls the Heart (Baker Publishing Group) (8/11)
- Stars Collide (Baker Publishing Group) (8/16)
- Heartless (Baker Publishing Group) (8/24)
- The Faith of Ashish: Blessings in India Book #1 (Abingdon Press) (8/31)
- The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Baker Publishing Group) (9/1) (***)
- Blame It on the Mistletoe (Bright's Pond Series) (Abingdon Press) (9/6) (***)
- They Almost Always Come Home (Abingdon Press) (9/6) (***)
- From Ashes to Honor (Abingdon Press) (9/6) (***)
- From a Distance (Baker Publishing Group) (9/7) (***)
- Reflections on the Game (NBC) (6/15)
- Forty Stories: New Writing from Harper Perennial (HarperCollins Publishers) (8/10)
- The Rules of Chess (Russell Enterprises, Incorporated) (8/18)
- The Addicted Brain: Why We Abuse Drugs, Alcohol, and Nicotine (Pearson Education) (9/3) (***)
Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Grace Immaculate (Tom Doherty) (10/23)
- The New World (Candlewick) (3/8)
- The Light of Eidon (Legends of the Guardian-King Series #1) (Baker Publishing Group) (9/5) (***)
Publisher: Baker Publishing Group
When Miss Charlotte Wilson asks God for a husband, she decides He must want her to pursue Mr. Hamilton Beckett, the catch of the season. The only problem? She's never actually met him. Fortunately, one of her oldest and dearest friends, Mr. Henry St. James, is acquainted with Hamilton. Much to Henry's chagrin, Charlotte immediately ropes him into helping her meet her intended. However, none of her plans to catch Hamilton's eye go quite as she expected. In the midst of the mayhem Charlotte always seems to cause, she can't help but wonder if she might have misheard God after all.
This novella is a companion to A Change of Fortune, Jen Turano's full-length debut novel, available fall 2012!
Publisher: Cook, David C.
When a brilliant surgeon undergoes a heart transplant, her life transforms as she begins experiencing memories of a murder she never witnessed. The residents worship her. Nurses step out of her way. Her colleagues respect and sometimes even fear her. But surgeon Tori Taylor never expected to end up on this side of the operating table. Now she has a new heart. This life that was formerly controlled and predictable is now chaotic. Dr. Taylor had famously protected herself from love or commitment, but her walls are beginning to crumble. And strangest of all, memories surface that will take her on a journey out of the operating room and into a murder investigation. Where there once was a heart of stone, there is a heart of flesh. And there is no going back.
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
Prolific author Copeland (With This Ring, LJ 2/1/98) kicks off another historical Western series with this pleasing tale of mail-order brides set in 1872. When their pastor father dies suddenly, leaving little money, three sisters realize that they need to take drastic action to survive. Each answers a newspaper ad soliciting Christian brides. Faith goes to Texas, where her intended, a well-to-do rancher named Nicholas Shepherd, seems to be having second thoughts. While her wedding is repeatedly postponed, Faith meets a local widower and decides to teach his blind son Braille. In time, Nicholas begins to realize that he may have lost Faith to another man. Although this is not the freshest premise, Copeland endows his characters with enough liveliness to make the book a fun light read. Recommended, especially for Copeland's growing group of fans.
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
2011 ECPA Christian Book Award winner for fiction! 2011 Christy Award Winner for contemporary standalone novel.
Billy Allman is a hillbilly genius. People in Dogwood, West Virginia, say he was born with a second helping of brains and a gift for playing the mandolin but was cut short on social skills. Though he’d gladly give you the shirt off his back, they were right. Billy longs to use his life as an ode to God, a lyrical, beautiful bluegrass song played with a finely tuned heart. So with spare parts from a lifetime of collecting, he builds a radio station in his own home. People in town laugh. But Billy carries a brutal secret that keeps him from significance and purpose. Things always seem to go wrong for him.
However small his life seems, from a different perspective Billy’s song reaches far beyond the hills and hollers he calls home. Malachi is an angel sent to observe Billy. Though it is not his dream assignment, Malachi follows the man and begins to see the bigger picture of how each painful step Billy takes is a note added to a beautiful symphony that will forever change the lives of those who hear it.
Winner of the 2011 Christian Book Award for Fiction and the 2011 Christy Award for Contemporary Standalone
by Will Jr. DavisProduct Details
- ISBN-13: 9781585589425
- Publisher: Baker Publishing Group
- Publication date: 7/1/2008
- File size: 352 KB
We know marriage is too hard to handle alone. But when we come to God for help, too often our prayers are lifeless and vague or even selfish. God wants more for you--in your prayer life and in your marriage.
Will Davis Jr. combines God's teachings on marriage with practical guidance on praying for your marriage using "pinpoint prayers" that are bold, direct, specific, and biblical. You will learn how to pray specific biblical verses for:
•emotional and spiritual intimacy in marriage
•your spouse's spiritual growth, even if he or she is an unbeliever
•protection from marriage temptations
•your marriage's purpose and mission
Each chapter includes suggestions for how you can "Pray Big Today," relevant Scripture verses, and prayers. A final section offers a 31-day prayer plan with verses and pinpoint prayers to help you get started. Pray Big for Your Marriage will challenge and inspire you to ask God to do big things in and through your marriage.Will Davis Jr. is the founding and senior pastor of Austin Christian Fellowship, a nondenominational church in Austin, Texas. He is the author of Pray Big and is an avid hiker, mountain climber, and water-skier. He and his wife, Susie, have three children.by Annie Wald, Peterson H. Eugene (Foreword by)Product Details
Enjoy these SAMPLE pages from Walk with Me-or get the full version also for frree . . .by Annie Wald
- ISBN-13: 9780802486868
- Publisher: Moody Publishers
- Publication date: 7/1/2012
- Edition description: New Edition
- Pages: 39
- File size: 2 MB
Peter and Celeste choose to travel as one on the lifelong journey to the King's City. They are blissfully in love and bound to each other by the Cords of Commitment. Shortly after visiting the Moon of Honey they discover that the journey proves much more difficult than they expected. When they find themselves laboring through the Swamp of Selfishness, crossing the dismal Plains of Distance, and nearly becoming separated by the River of Unfaithfulness, their love for each other and for the King is challenged. They must choose whether to continue on together, not knowing if they can be warmed again by the Kindling of Affection, or visit the Valley of Cut Cords to journey alone once more.
Inspired by the timeless classic Pilgrim's Progress, Annie Wald's Walk with Me exposes the journey of marriage as the epic passage that it is and the refining process it can become.