7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2012 2:19 PM by BruceMcF

    Download MOVIES????

      My wife and I are looking to buy a NOOk Color.  I like the idea of being able to read books, newspapers, and kids books for my daughter.  But we do travel alot and would also like to play movies for her (like Finding Nemo, disney type, etc).  Can you download and play full lenght movies on the NOOK Color??????  We are getting conflicting answers.  Best Buy Sales rep said NO.  Barnes and Nobles sales rep, and 1800-the-book said YES.  Barnes and Nobles on line chat tech rep said NO, then said YES. 

       

      So confused!!  If you own a Nook Color, can you tell me if you can play full length movies on it or not. 

       

      Thank you!!!

        • Re: Download MOVIES????
          You can play movies. A great program to convert movies to watch on your Nook is DVD Catalyst. It costs $10 but all you have to do is put a dvd you own in your pc and it converts it to watch on your Nook. Well worth the money and very easy to use. Some people use handbrake which is free but im not sure how that one works. But yes you can definitely watch movies on the Nook.
            • Re: Download MOVIES????

              KidneyKid,

               

              Thank you!  I'm assuming you OWN a nook and have watched movies on the Nook Color.  Does the battery last long enough to watch a movie.  And how many movies can you store on it???  By puting the DVD on my comptuer, does that mean I can convert DVDs that I currently own??

               

              Thank you again.  You have made me feel more comfortable than any of the rest of the actual support staff.

                • Re: Download MOVIES????

                   


                  theSavallis wrote:

                  KidneyKid,

                   

                  Thank you!  I'm assuming you OWN a nook and have watched movies on the Nook Color.  Does the battery last long enough to watch a movie.  And how many movies can you store on it???  By puting the DVD on my comptuer, does that mean I can convert DVDs that I currently own??

                   

                  Thank you again.  You have made me feel more comfortable than any of the rest of the actual support staff.


                   

                  The Nook can play movies. For an idea of what it looks like, you can visit the following link:

                   

                  www.tools4movies.com/nook

                   

                  If you visit the link on your NOOK, you can tap the MP4 links to stream (play while downloading) the clips right away, or, if you use your computer, you can download the zip files, extract the MP4 files from there and copy them to your NOOK.

                   

                  In general, movies end up about 800-1000MB in size, so without adding an SD card, the 5GB space of the NOOK will fit 4 full movies with ease. The battery lasts long enough for at least a movie and a half.

                • Re: Download MOVIES????
                  Hi i was reading your post about catalyst and was wondering what it is and where do i get it? Please help thanks and happy new year
                    • Re: Download MOVIES????
                      orb9220

                      DVD Catalyst 4  will cost you $10 and is a great program.

                      .

                      • Re: Download MOVIES????
                        JinSC

                        MeganF wrote:
                        Hi i was reading your post about catalyst and was wondering what it is and where do i get it? Please help thanks and happy new year


                        Megan,

                         

                        dvd catalyst is the developer of a program sometimes referred to as "dvd catalyst" or "tools for movies."  The program allows you to take your dvds and process them into a format that is playable on your NC.  The end result is a 2 hour movie that takes up about 800mb of space.  The program includes formatting for numerous devices, I have used it on three different ones. 

                         

                        dvd catalyst the person is a regular in this forum and provides excellent customer service if you pm him or e-mail him through his site. 

                         

                        Jeremy

                    • Re: Download MOVIES????
                      BruceMcF

                      theSavallis wrote:

                      ... But we do travel alot and would also like to play movies for her (like Finding Nemo, disney type, etc).  Can you download and play full lenght movies on the NOOK Color??????


                      It's remarkably easy to stream movies on the Nook Color if you are in reach of a WiFi network with enough bandwidth ~ whether Netflix for ad free, Crackle for movies with ads, the new Ultraviolet system on Flixtser to stream digital versions of movies you've bought on BD/DVD, or etc..

                       

                      The confusion about downloads is that, Yes, if you download a movie in the correct video file format, it will play on the Nook and, No, setting aside pirate sites, its not easy to find download-to-own sites that download files in a Nook format, and if you find one, its not likely to have an extremely large selection.

                       

                      That's why all the discussion of handbrake / DVD catalyst ~ for off-net movie watching, buying the DVD's and converting them is more straightforward, at the present point in time.