12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2010 6:44 AM by Doug_Pardee

    Ebook prices remaining high

      Still seeing ebook prices holding high, & in fact holding higher.  

        • Re: Ebook prices remaining high

          The point being?

          • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
            AlanNJ

             


            DenisePW wrote:

            Still seeing ebook prices holding high, & in fact holding higher.  


            Thank you.  Will you be making these reports on a regular basis?

             

            • Re: Ebook prices remaining high

              I am finding it is not just the big time publishers that are pricing their ebooks high.  I NEVER buy their books, and finding books offered from other publishers are just as high.  So, I rarely buy e-books, since many times, if you wait, the paperback will be less expensive.  But this gives me a chance to take advantage of the free books.

              • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                Ya_Ya

                I have a dumb question - to all of you claiming "ebooks are too high", what price point would you say is appropriate?

                 

                New releases are priced, for the most part, at $12.99 and $14.99.  Most older books are $9.99 or less.  There are thousands of books at $5.99 and $6.99.  What, exactly, do you think is a reasonable price? 

                 

                I'm not likely to pay more than $12.99 for very many ebooks, but I rarely bought new releases anyway.  The only books in recent memory that I've pre-ordered were Harry Potter and that was just because I thought it would be fun to go get them at the midnight release parties.  And it was - the kids were so very excited, and the parents and booksellers really got into it as well.

                 

                I didn't live in a world where I expected every ebook to be the same as everything on the bargain book table.  I figured they'd be about the same as the trade paperback or maybe $1 or $2 less.  

                 

                I know we've been over and over why I'm wrong - and why ebooks should all cost nothing because there's no work involved in their production [I wish there was a sarcasm font] but nobody will actually say what they believe is a reasonable price point.

                  • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                    RVnook

                     


                    Ya_Ya wrote:

                    I have a dumb question - to all of you claiming "ebooks are too high", what price point would you say is appropriate?

                     

                    New releases are priced, for the most part, at $12.99 and $14.99.  Most older books are $9.99 or less.  There are thousands of books at $5.99 and $6.99.  What, exactly, do you think is a reasonable price?


                    I'm a newcomer to these discussion boards, but I'll bite. I was never a big buyer of new hardcover books, except while in college. Most of my purchases were paperback or bargain or used hardcovers.

                     

                     

                    How about this as apotential pricing model: $9.99 for new releases (could limit it to the first 30 days of release if desired as a promotional offer, thenraise it to $12.99 for six months), $6.99 or $7.99 after three or six months, and maybe $4.99 or $5.99 if and when the book comes out in paperback. Maybe after a year or two, the eBook could occasionally be offered as a bargain book for $2.99 or $3.99.

                     

                    If eBooks are not a big part of a publisher's revenue, they have little to lose from such pricing. If, on the other hand, eBooks are or could become a large part of that revenue stream, it seems they could drive some additional sales and create some customer loyalty by taking the lead on pricing rather than following the other publishers like sheep.

                     

                    I don't claim to know anything about the publishing industry or about book selling. It's just my $.02 worth (adjusted for inflation).

                    • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                      bklvr896

                       


                      Ya_Ya wrote:

                      I have a dumb question - to all of you claiming "ebooks are too high", what price point would you say is appropriate?

                       

                       

                       


                       

                       

                      For me, it depends on the book.  $12.99 for a new release that I absolutely have to read is fine, $14.99 is a little too high for me, primarily because I can usually get the HC book for less than a dollar more, especially as a preorder.  If I buy a HC new release, it's generally because I'm going to keep in anyway, I'd rather read the eBook but have the HC for my bookshelf, so I'll just buy the HC and read it.

                       

                      I have a problem with the prices of eBooks with paperbacks released, especially mass market paperbacks.  Currently, a number of publishers have priced them at the same price as the MMP, and since the retailer can discount it, the MMP winds up being less than eBook.  I think they eBook should be at least a dollar less than the MMP.

                       

                      When a book is out as a trade paperback I am currently struggling with pricing.  I tended to stay away from trades because of the price, now, with a lot more trade paperbacks being released, the eBook seems to be at $9.99, and then again, it comes down to the book and how badly I want to read it.  I put a lot of books in my wishlist now and watch the price, and check the libraries.

                      • Re: Ebook prices remaining high

                         


                        Ya_Ya wrote:

                        I have a dumb question - to all of you claiming "ebooks are too high", what price point would you say is appropriate?

                         

                        New releases are priced, for the most part, at $12.99 and $14.99.  Most older books are $9.99 or less.  There are thousands of books at $5.99 and $6.99.  What, exactly, do you think is a reasonable price?


                         

                        Personally, I feel like they should be a percentage lower than the cheapest list price available.  I don't begrudge them making a profit and I don't want authors to make less, so I don't expect my (e)books to be $1-2.

                         

                        So when a book is new in hardcover, then a higher price is warranted and people can decide whether or not they are willing to pay it (myself - no, I'll wait, but that's my choice).

                         

                        But when it comes out in paperback, the price should drop down to at least a little below the paperback list price.  But at least for some books on my wish list... they don't.  They remain above the paperback price.

                          • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                            wordsandmelodies

                            I'm not complaining, exactly, cuz no one's twisitng my arm and MAKING me buy them.  *grins*  But there are a fair number of ebooks that I wait for the price to drop before buying.  I'm in the reverse situation -- I almost exclusively bought mass market paperbacks, because of pricing.  I don't necessarily think ebooks should cost LESS than MMPBs, but I prefer not to pay much more.  If it's more than $10, I think hard before purchasing.  (Can I buy this elsewhere?  Is the price likely to fall in a few weeks?  Maybe I can find it at the library while I wait...)  And past that point, with every dollar's increase in price, the probability that I will purchase it falls sharply.  It's not that I won't pay because it's an ebook.  It's just that the price is wandering into the territory of trade paperbacks and hardcovers, which were outside of my price range anyway.

                          • Re: Ebook prices remaining high

                            Ya_Ya wrote:

                            I have a dumb question - to all of you claiming "ebooks are too high", what price point would you say is appropriate?

                             

                             

                            What price point is reasonable?  Well, were there a lot of complaints at $9.99? I honestly can't answer that, as I purchased my nook 2 months before the price fixing by the Agency 5 was announced. I feel that prices mandated by the publisher are not appropriate; let the buyer purchase his books where ever he chooses, at the price he chooses to pay.  We, as readers, have lost our ability to choose the price we are comfortable with, and therefore the mandatory pricing imposed by the publisher is (to me) inappropriate.  If the $14.99 price point was one that was in fact set by the market (the demand for a book being so high that readers will pay a premium over hardcover or paperback, for example) then so be it, the price is appropriate.  Just as importantly, the $12.99 & upward price point is inappropriate (to me) for a book that I can only lend (at the most) once for 14 days. A hard cover book I can lend over & over, purchased for about the same $15, without violating any rules. But I remain especially incensed over the publishers price setting and their refusal to make books available to libraries.  As I've said before, I am sometimes willing to pay for a book that is available at a library because I want to read it NOW. It was the same with a hard cover book.  But now, I refuse to purchase a book that has been made unavailable to libraries.  I just won't reward bad behavior.  There are plenty of books that I am happy to read that are not being distributed by paranoid publishers with a view towards controlling access to the written word. 

                             

                             

                          • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                            Balatuc

                            I don't know if anyone else experienced this in the last couple days but if you had one of the ebooks that had it's price raised in your ebook wish list you probably experienced both a high and a low like me. Laying in bed browsing on my nook to see which ebook I would purchase next I saw close to half of my wishlist listed as "Free!" Of course after clicking on a couple and having them pop up "No Longer Available" I got out of bed and found out about the awesome price hikes some publishers have instituted. Hence, the big smile I had after seeing "Free" was wide open for the kick in the teeth after reading about all the new pricing.

                            Any one else experience that?

                              • Re: Ebook prices remaining high
                                Doug_Pardee

                                Balatuc: B&N's been having a ton of trouble with their servers for over a week. Stuff disappears, stuff quits working, stuff comes back, it's been a royal pain. For two days, you couldn't search from your NOOK for e-books to buy. You either had to browse for them or search for them on the web site. Then we had a day or two where you could buy e-books but they wouldn't download to your NOOK.

                                 

                                It's possible that what you're seeing is just more trouble down on the server farm.