14 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2013 8:19 AM by TnTexas

    microsoft buying nook

      What will it mean for my nook color and nook hd+ content if nooks are discontined by the end of 2014 as is being reported today?

        • Re: microsoft buying nook
          keriflur

          jkp13 wrote:

          What will it mean for my nook color and nook hd+ content if nooks are discontined by the end of 2014 as is being reported today?


          Absolutely nothing.

          • Re: microsoft buying nook

            they won't quit working, your content won't disappear. It will be just the same. Besides, it's not Nook being sold, it's Nook Media. Everything else is speculation at this point and speculation is not always correct.

              • Re: microsoft buying nook
                roustabout

                "they won't quit working, your content won't disappear."

                 

                Probably.  I do expect that MS will at least try to maintain the data.  This is more than I can say for Google, who I would expect to see killing the project a year or two after buying the Nook division, if they felt they needed a boutique line of low-spec hardware for long enough to do the purchase, then experienced a change of direction a few minutes after trying to integrate Google+ with the Nook shopping experience.

                 

                Probably the Nook business will continue to support the old BN android clients.  And probably stuff you bought will still be tied to your account.  

                 

                However, I would not expect Nook accounts to be front-of-mind for BN the day the authentication back-end for something else gets hammered and the Nook accounts are impacted

                 

                http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/02/23/windows-azure-restored-after-worldwide-outage.aspx

                 

                Nor do I have a lot of confidence that MS will professionally maintain the infrastructure around the legacy BN accounts, or necessarily understand either it or the customer expectations. 

                 

                MS has, in the past, thrashed data from acquired companies.  

                 

                http://blogs.computerworld.com/14894/danger_microsoft_loses_t_mobile_sidekick_hiptop_users_data

                 

                I've said it before, I'll say it again: back up your epub data locally.  Manage your own DRM.  Don't trust BN or MS or Google or Amazon to take care of it for you.  

                 

                http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html

                  • Re: microsoft buying nook

                    yep, I back up everything!! Even now, books have become unavailable for download if you haven't done it already.

                    • Re: microsoft buying nook

                      Is there a good tutorial for backing up Nook data? I'm pretty savvy with computers but I don't yet understand how the Nook operates/archives data, or even what file type it uses. Thanks!

                        • Re: microsoft buying nook

                          This: Is there a good tutorial for backing up Nook data?

                           

                          No, no way that I know of.

                           

                          Books - you can download via Nook for PC and then save them.

                           

                          Apps - can't be backed up. A copy is in the B&N cloud, but no backing up of App Data so you lose that if you Archive an app.

                           

                          Movies - I think you should be able to choose 'save to SD card' and then copy from SD card to PC.

                           

                          Magazines via Nook for PC.

                          • Re: microsoft buying nook

                            Re: "Is there a good tutorial for backing up Nook data?"

                             

                            I dumped the Nook Tablet for a Kindle Fire back when B&N blocked sideloading with a software update. I've been running the Nook app on my Kindle, but with the writing on the wall for B&N, I want my books liberated for my personal use.

                             

                            For ebooks, download the Nook desktop reader and download local copies of all your books.

                            Download and install Calibre.

                            Download and install a Nook DRM stripper plugin for Calibre (search YouTube for easy to follow tutorials).

                            Import your Nook books into Calibre, which strips the DRM.

                            Keep the files as unlocked .epub files, or export them to .mobi and read them on the Kindle.

                             

                            When exporting to .mobi for the Kindle, you can easily edit the files so that they show up with proper covers on your Kindle bookshelf and carousel. The Kindle is a very open device.

                             

                            I am 100% opposed to media piracy, and I do not share files with anyone.

                              • Re: microsoft buying nook
                                BruceMcF

                                MWorrell wrote:
                                ... download and install a Nook DRM stripper plugin for Calibre (search YouTube for easy to follow tutorials). ...


                                Note, for those concerned about the legality or propriety of this step, this step is not required to archive B&N ebooks. Its a common step for those who have invested in ecosystems built around proprietary ebook formats like the Kindle, but if you can sideload either the Nook app or a third party ereader app that can handle the B&N DRM system, the DRM stripping step can be skipped. Once it has been downloaded into the Nook PC app, the file has been archived off of the cloud.

                                • Re: microsoft buying nook
                                  flyingtoastr

                                  MWorrell wrote:

                                  The Kindle is a very open device.


                                  I just died laughing.

                                    • Re: microsoft buying nook

                                      Re: "I just died laughing."

                                       

                                      Why? I have yet to encounter a format I cannot use on my Kindle Fire, unless there's a DRM issue to be addressed. It seems to play everything I throw at it, and opening the device up for app sideloading is as easy as checking a box.

                                      • Re: microsoft buying nook
                                        TnTexas

                                        MWorrell: The Kindle is a very open device

                                        flyingtoastr: I just died laughing.

                                         

                                        Eh, depends on how you define "open" and which Kindle device you're talking about. If you're concentrating on the kind of ebook that can be read natively by the device, you're right; it's not open at all - neither the eink devices or the Fires. On the other hand, if you're talking about the Fires and their app selection, it is pretty open since you can add apps from non-Amazon sources - including other reading apps, which mitigates the device's proprietariness in the book department to some degree.

                                      • Re: microsoft buying nook
                                        Mercury_Glitch

                                        MWorrell wrote:

                                        Re: "Is there a good tutorial for backing up Nook data?"

                                         

                                        I dumped the Nook Tablet for a Kindle Fire back when B&N blocked sideloading with a software update. I've been running the Nook app on my Kindle, but with the writing on the wall for B&N, I want my books liberated for my personal use.

                                         

                                        For ebooks, download the Nook desktop reader and download local copies of all your books.

                                        Download and install Calibre.

                                        Download and install a Nook DRM stripper plugin for Calibre (search YouTube for easy to follow tutorials).

                                        Import your Nook books into Calibre, which strips the DRM.

                                        Keep the files as unlocked .epub files, or export them to .mobi and read them on the Kindle.

                                         

                                        When exporting to .mobi for the Kindle, you can easily edit the files so that they show up with proper covers on your Kindle bookshelf and carousel. The Kindle is a very open device.

                                         

                                        I am 100% opposed to media piracy, and I do not share files with anyone.


                                         

                                        Using tools to remove DRM is still illegal.  Just a friendly heads up. 

                                • Re: microsoft buying nook
                                  BruceMcF

                                  jkp13 wrote:

                                  What will it mean for my nook color and nook hd+ content if nooks are discontined by the end of 2014 as is being reported today?


                                  If it means anything, it would likely be an expansion of Nook Video content as the licensing is merged with the buying power of XBox Live.

                                   

                                  And yes, that is on top of 'as reported today' is speculation, not a confirmed buyout, so any consequences of that speculated-about buyout, such as the discontinuation of the Nook line at the end of 2014, are speculation-squared ~ the buyout may never happen, and if it does, the speculation about its consequences could be dead wrong.