1 2 3 4 Next Last 55 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2015 1:20 PM by bobstro Go to original post
      • 45. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
        MacMcK1957

        keriflur wrote:

         

        MacMcK1957 wrote:

         

        Anyone think of any logical reasons other than to force me to use Google's cloud?

        Chromecast is poorly designed?

        If a Google product forces me to use Google's cloud, I'm not inclined to think it's poor design.  In this case I doubt Hanlon's razor applies.

        • 46. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
          keriflur

          MacMcK1957 wrote:

           

          keriflur wrote:

           

          MacMcK1957 wrote:

           

          Anyone think of any logical reasons other than to force me to use Google's cloud?

          Chromecast is poorly designed?

          If a Google product forces me to use Google's cloud, I'm not inclined to think it's poor design.  In this case I doubt Hanlon's razor applies.

          I disagree. There's a mentality that happens in companies like Google (you can see it at Amazon and MS also, and I'm sure there are others) where the people who work there spend so much time at work, socializing with co-workers, living with co-workers, etc., that they become out of touch with the rest of the world. They're so used to their social circle that they can't conceptualize the idea that there are people out there who would want to use Chromecast but would not want to use the cloud. And if those people did exist (unicorns!), there probably aren't very many of them. Heck, they've never even met one. So they design for what they want, and what their friends want, and what they believe the rest of the world wants (with no real idea that the real world is not their world), and don't bother to code for any solutions outside of the cloud. So, yeah, poor design.

          • 47. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
            bobstro

            MacMcK1957 wrote:

            If a Google product forces me to use Google's cloud, I'm not inclined to think it's poor design.  In this case I doubt Hanlon's razor applies.

            Google's music app will only stream music from their cloud, but that doesn't mean you can't stream sideloaded music from other apps to your Chromecast. I use Avia and it works just fine. I wouldn't call it a shortcoming in Chromecast.

            • 48. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
              bobstro

              keriflur wrote:

              [...] I disagree. There's a mentality that happens in companies like Google (you can see it at Amazon and MS also, and I'm sure there are others) where the people who work there spend so much time at work, socializing with co-workers, living with co-workers, etc., that they become out of touch with the rest of the world. They're so used to their social circle that they can't conceptualize the idea that there are people out there who would want to use Chromecast but would not want to use the cloud. And if those people did exist (unicorns!), there probably aren't very many of them. Heck, they've never even met one. So they design for what they want, and what their friends want, and what they believe the rest of the world wants (with no real idea that the real world is not their world), and don't bother to code for any solutions outside of the cloud. So, yeah, poor design.

              Agreed. I'm finding this a lot with my new Apple computers. Most of the rest of the world supports MTP devices, for example, but not Apple. Apple has their own competing technology, so we're all supposed to use only their products.

              • 49. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
                MacMcK1957

                Bob George wrote:

                 

                MacMcK1957 wrote:

                If a Google product forces me to use Google's cloud, I'm not inclined to think it's poor design.  In this case I doubt Hanlon's razor applies.

                Google's music app will only stream music from their cloud, but that doesn't mean you can't stream sideloaded music from other apps to your Chromecast. I use Avia and it works just fine. I wouldn't call it a shortcoming in Chromecast.

                Google device and google app.  Which, again, reinforces my conclusion that it is a deliberate decision on Google's part to force me to their cloud.

                • 50. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
                  bobstro

                  MacMcK1957 wrote:

                  [...] Which, again, reinforces my conclusion that it is a deliberate decision on Google's part.

                  I agree, although Google's history with the Play Music app is a puzzling one. They seem to be slowly and quietly adding functionality. When I first used early versions, I was pleased that they allowed uploading personal music to their cloud, but the app was otherwise quite limited. It didn't recognize sideloaded content on the device at all, and stored music in a hidden and, from what I've read, DRM'ed format on internal storage.

                   

                  Until you mentioned it, I wasn't aware they'd added the ability to play sideloaded music at all, as well as change the default storage location to secondary storage. Now downloaded files seem to be DRM-free mp3s, although annoyingly named and with non metadata, stored in <storage location>/Android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music. And, of course, Chromecast support was added somewhere along the way. I don't know if it's a case of Google not allowing streaming of sideloaded content to Chromecast so much as not having added the feature yet. I've been using 3rd party players, so never noticed.

                   

                  I'm personally delighted with Chromecast. The Chromecast packs easily in my bag for travel*, and they're cheap enough** that I can stick one on every TV in the house. I already have my tablet and/or phone with me, so there's no need for a full-function, more expensive and bulkier Google TV, Apple TV or Roku box. They're particularly nice when my sons return home as they can use their devices and accounts without having to worry about sharing mine when they visit. It's perfect for a Guest Bedroom setup. Adding a Chromecast to a TV adds a lot of value to a budget tablet like the NGTS at minimal cost.

                   

                  *   I do use a wifi nano-router set up as a wifi repeater while in hotels to deal with captive portal setups.

                  ** Especially during the holidays with the $25 Google Play credit. The effective price was < $10.

                  • 51. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
                    bobstro

                    agarcia AGAIN, why are some of my posts being moderated? You are KILLING whatever semblance of dialog Jive still permits. This is really annoying.

                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 53. Re: Summarize any downsides of the SGT4N vs. the regular SGT4
                      bobstro

                      I've used the Edimax BR-6258n for a couple of years, but I guess it must be a collectible now. I think I paid about $27. Now it's going for $80-135. That thing held its value better than Beanie Babies!

                       

                      I'm tempted to buy the HooToo combo router/battery/charger. Next time I leave my Edimax in the hotel, that may be the route I go.

                      1 2 3 4 Next Last