3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 3:57 PM by lkmiller

reregistering with my own email address when Nook has old owner's email

david_b_lewis

I bought a Nook reader at an estate sale. It is an  “Original nook with WiFi, Model BNRV100”.

I had trouble resetting factory defaults, because I needed to unregister the Nook, and I couldn’t unregister the Nook with the previous owner’s email address in the device settings, because it tells me “Invalid Email Address: This email address is not associated with an existing BN.com account. Please re-enter your email address to continue.”

I was in touch with the previous owner, who says that she has now disconnected/deauthorized/released this particular e-reader from her account.

But I still can’t “Register your NOOK”; when I try to unregister the Nook, and it fails, as above, I can then erase the old email address and type in my email and password (that I use on barnesandnoble.com), and Submit, then I am told “This NOOK appears to be registered already.”

I have done a “hard reset” by holding power for 20 seconds, and by removing the battery for 10 seconds, but neither procedure changed the stored information. I also got some other vague information via chat with barnesandnoble.com about doing a hard reset, which apparently involved holding the power down for 20 seconds, 6 times in a row, with repeats after a gap of 5 seconds. The nook gets through 3 before asking me to update; when I do so, it reboots, but then things are as they were, with the old owner’s email still appearing. So either “hard reset” doesn’t really do anything (why should it clear out the old email?), or I’m doing it wrong.

So, who is the Nook registered to? Was the previous account in fact disconnected? And how do I reregister it with my own account credentials?

Thanks for your guidance.

• 1. Re: reregistering with my own email address when Nook has old owner's email
          lkmiller

This is the Nook 1st edition with the E-ink reading screen and the small color screen at the bottom?  To do a manual factory reset, you need to interrupt the startup 6 times in a row.  So you power down, start to power up but press the power button again and hold it before it actual starts up.  Once it's off again, repeat.  If you get through 6 times, it will start up with the "out of box experience" like it came from the factory.

• 2. Re: reregistering with my own email address when Nook has old owner's email
            david_b_lewis

Thank you very much.  I see 192 people viewed this request for help; you were the only one to respond.

I decided to get the "hard reset" method working. Indeed, I was doing it wrong, given the bad instructions from B&N Support. The information you provided was enough to track down the instructions at:

http://geekdrop.com/content/how-to-reset-or-restore-your-nook-to-factory-settings

Specifically, the instructions in the comment that read:

1. Hold power button down and after the screen blinks the second time start the 12 count. (Use computer clock)
            2. After 12 seconds LET GO FOR 1 SECOND THEN HOLD AGAIN (IMPORTANT)!
            3. Repeat this process for 6 times FOR A TOTAL OF 7 TIMES (ALSO IMPORTANT)!
            4. After 7th time press (don't hold)power to turn on Nook, then you'll see the sky blue, progress, formatting etc on the bottom
            5. Touch screen.

I started with a step 0, of turning the Nook off to begin with.

So that people can find this in the future, I'm putting some meta-tags here:

hard factory reset, hard reset, factory reset

nook classic, nook first edition, nook original

• 3. Re: reregistering with my own email address when Nook has old owner's email
              lkmiller

Yeah, this was something that was talked about when the original Nook was the only Nook.  The info is probably buried deep in the old archived threads here somewhere.  I think there is a shorter, simpler combo of button presses that work on newer Nooks so this method was forgotten.  Glad you got it working.