1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 7:55 PM by tsmith

new GLP happenings

johnsig

After I have powered up my GLP, when I open a book there are three black dots alternating over the page to my book. They go away after I change font or turn the page.  Also I like to use the thicker Malabar font and my GLP used to remember that for a book I've started, but lately after I shut it down it forgets and I have to reset it. No big deal but I don't think it used to do that.

• 1. Re: new GLP happenings
          tsmith

In regard to your question about fonts, a couple of separate points.

The first point relates to what the GLP is supposed to do.  So long as you stay within a given book, the GLP will normally remember any font change you make.  You can put the GLP into standby mode, and bring it back out of standby mode, and the GLP should automatically return to the page you were reading, and remember your font change.  On the other hand, if you exit a book (or if the GLP independently exits your book for some reason), then the GLP forgets any font change you made.  When you re-open that book, the GLP will have reverted to the default font for that particular book, and you will need to make your font change again.

The second point is that the latest firmware update for the GLP throws a hiccup into the normal font process summarized above, but you can fix the hiccup.  In more detail, this past April B&N issued a firmware update for the GLP, which by now has probably automatically downloaded to your GLP and installed itself.  (If you go to Settings, About, and if the App Version shown there is 47.0.29/4.7.0.43, then you have this latest firmware update.  Alternatively, if you see a different version number there, you can turn on the WiFi, and touch the "Check for System Update" button in order to get this latest version).  When this latest firmware update installs itself into a GLP, it adds the unwanted hiccup (due to a minor glitch in the installation process).   In particular, as noted above, when you take your GLP out of standby mode, the GLP is supposed to automatically go back to the page you were reading when you put the GLP into standby mode, and is supposed to remember any font change you made.  But instead, when you take your GLP out of standby mode, the hiccup causes the GLP to go to the home page (instead of the page you were reading).  And that means the GLP exited the book you were reading, which in turn means the GLP forgot any font change you made for that book.  As a result, due to the hiccup, each time you take your GLP out of standby mode, you have to re-open the book you were reading, and re-enter any font change you made.  To get rid of this hiccup once and for all, do the following just one time.  Instead of putting your GLP into standby mode, turn the power completely off (press & hold the Power button for 3+ seconds), let the GLP power down, then turn the power back on (again press & hold the Power button for 3+ seconds), and let the GLP reboot.  Do this just one time and, after that, every time you bring your GLP out of standby mode, it should automatically go back to the book page you were reading when you put it into standby mode, and it should remember any font change you made.